Windows Defender quarantined my ST binary

General discussion about StarTools.
decay

Windows Defender quarantined my ST binary

Post by decay »

Hi all,

that's new for me: this morning Windows refused to start ST (GPU binary) and quarantined it. :confusion-shrug: :evil: It says, the binary would execute commands of an invader (probably Ivo?! :lol: )

Is there anyone else who is facing this problem? (Sorry, screenshot only available in German.)

Probably time to switch to my Linux box.

Best regards, Dietmar.
2023-08-25 07_28_57-Window.jpg
2023-08-25 07_28_57-Window.jpg (28.26 KiB) Viewed 13988 times
Mike in Rancho

Re: Windows Defender quarantined my ST binary

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Quarantine? You don't need no silly quarantine! Some hydroxy and ivermectin should do the trick. ;)

Anyway I think I have Norton, so haven't run into that. The first time I run any new Startools (among other downloaded things) I do have to click allow in a pop up window, but only the first time.

Norton has occasionally quarantined things, maybe ASTAP?, that I've had to unquarantine.

You ought to be able to reverse things in Defender as well. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/micro ... -worldwide
decay

Post by decay »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:29 am You ought to be able to reverse things in Defender as well.
Oh, thank you Mike! I already did that immediately, because I was quite sure that Ivo isn't hijacking my system. :D
I just wanted to point out, because I think, this must be due to a recent virus signature update for Windows Defender and so I guess this will happen to other Windows 'victims' ;) as well.
decay

Post by decay »

It just happened again?! :confusion-shrug: Am I really the only one? What's wrong with Windows Defender? :think: Grrr ....

Best regards, Dietmar.