M45 season

General discussion about StarTools.
AndyBooth

M45 season

Post by AndyBooth »

Ivo and ST users,
M45 season is coming around again, and i would like some advice.

My best attempt so far last year was this:--
http://www.astrobin.com/32974/

stack of 23 x 360s using a 150mm and a canon 450D

processed in ST of course :bow-yellow:

I want to do better this season, in particular, how can I stop star bloat!
Layer a short sub with longer ones - like in a M42 core mask jobby? :confusion-shrug:

Any advice greatfully received

regards to all,

Andy
admin
Site Admin

Re: M45 season

Post by admin »

Not bad at all when it comes to the signal you captured! I hope the new color module can further help with the colors this season.
The 7 sisters are buggers in that they are really bright compared to the nebulosity, so what you got here doesn't strike me as atypical at all. In fact you got them under control rather well here, seeing as you can clearly see the diffraction pattern around the stars, meaning you tried (and succeeded) in bringing out as much detail as possible without blowing them out any further.

So, yes, shorter exposures for the stars and layering them in with the HDR filters in the Layer module is definitely an option. Not a crazy idea at all! Some imagers with CCDs find that their CCDs start exhibiting blooming due to the extremely bright stars, so they do something along similar lines.

Focus and seeing appear to be good in this image (they can blow stars out as well relative to other detail that is not overexposed). Atmospheric transparency can also cause problems of this nature.

Would love to hear how you go with this!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

Thanks for the comments Ivo :thumbsup:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No worries. Every time I looked at a Pleiades pic/data the past few days I compared it mentally to what you posted here and, trust me, your image stacks up well!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

admin wrote:No worries. Every time I looked at a Pleiades pic/data the past few days I compared it mentally to what you posted here and, trust me, your image stacks up well!
Agreed
Che
sloz1664

Post by sloz1664 »

Yes nice one Andy, from a local Notts lad.
I found it rather a pain trying to tease the luminosity out of the image, but that was
with CS3. I'm new to StarTools and I'm struggling to grasp the concepts. Always a steep
learning curve to start with, but the videos are certainly helping.

cheers

Steve