Performance under OS X Mavericks

General discussion about StarTools.
sniemiec

Performance under OS X Mavericks

Post by sniemiec »

I am running OS X Mavericks (10.9) on a Core i7 MacBook Pro, 4GB.

Using (demo version) 1.3.182, performance is fairly slow, but reliable. If I run 1.3.5.270 (Beta), or 1.3.3.224 (stable), StarTools goes into "Not Responding" for periods. It usually recovers, but often crashes whilst processing.

I am using Nebulosity to PreProcess and stack. My .FITS files are around 200MB. I know that this is pushing the limits of the 32 bit engine in v1.3. But as soon as StarTools is stable with Mavericks and 64 bit I will definitely purchase! (I believe v1.4 should see OS X 64 bit support?)

I am happy to help with sending debug and crash info if that will help.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Performance under OS X Mavericks

Post by admin »

sniemiec wrote:I am running OS X Mavericks (10.9) on a Core i7 MacBook Pro, 4GB.

Using (demo version) 1.3.182, performance is fairly slow, but reliable. If I run 1.3.5.270 (Beta), or 1.3.3.224 (stable), StarTools goes into "Not Responding" for periods. It usually recovers, but often crashes whilst processing.

I am using Nebulosity to PreProcess and stack. My .FITS files are around 200MB. I know that this is pushing the limits of the 32 bit engine in v1.3. But as soon as StarTools is stable with Mavericks and 64 bit I will definitely purchase! (I believe v1.4 should see OS X 64 bit support?)

I am happy to help with sending debug and crash info if that will help.
Thanks for reporting this! I'm hoping to address many of these issues in 1.4 (including 64-bit support for MacOSX). The "Not responding"-and-recovering thing can happen across all platforms if Tracking takes a long time to analyse & update its data. I need to create some sort of dialog for this.

I'll be on it as soon as 1.3.5 is out the door!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
sniemiec

Re: Performance under OS X Mavericks

Post by sniemiec »

Thanks Ivo

I am currently using PI (at a very low level) but find that the ease of use of StarTools has me processing many more pics. PI is famous for its learning curve, and its quality. The problem is the driver (me!).

StarTools is something that I can 'fiddle' with, and practice far more so I can grow my understanding of processing from an aesthetic perspective.

I am looking forward to 64 bit support for the Mac!

Stefan