Is "Saved before de-tracking" still linear?

General discussion about StarTools.
puckja

Is "Saved before de-tracking" still linear?

Post by puckja »

My normal workflow is:
1. Auto-dev
2. crop, mask out ROI
3. Wipe
4, Manual Dev.

I often wonder how "Digital Dev" I should use and would like to experiment on the effect of different amounts. Therefore, I wonder if I can save the file before doing Step 4 so that I can came back to it and try different parameters. However, I am not sure if the saved data still "virgin' that ST can still do its trick going back and forth to ensure optimized noise reduction.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Puck
admin
Site Admin

Re: Is "Saved before de-tracking" still linear?

Post by admin »

Hi Puck,

How about clicking Restore and choosing 'Linear, Wiped, Deconvolved'? This should accomplish what you're after.
You *could* save after the Wipe as well, but StarTools will lose some information on how the image looked before the Wipe - this may have some impact on the effectiveness of denoise (but not always a lot).
puckja wrote:My normal workflow is:
1. Auto-dev
2. crop, mask out ROI
3. Wipe
4, Manual Dev.

I often wonder how "Digital Dev" I should use and would like to experiment on the effect of different amounts. Therefore, I wonder if I can save the file before doing Step 4 so that I can came back to it and try different parameters. However, I am not sure if the saved data still "virgin' that ST can still do its trick going back and forth to ensure optimized noise reduction.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Puck
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
puckja

Re: Is "Saved before de-tracking" still linear?

Post by puckja »

Ivo:

Thanks a lot for the reply. I did use the RESTORE function. However, sometimes I have have other steps in between (CONTRAST or SHARP). It was ambiguous to me if those steps are reversed or not, so a "saved" status gave me more confidence on where I was.

This may go back to some of the feature request in the past. It is really nice to have some "history" on the modules or steps (including the information on partial or full mask used) so that a user can test different approach. The current Undo/Redo can only go back one step.

Thanks!!

Puck