Question for Mac users of StarTools

General discussion about StarTools.
trobbet

Question for Mac users of StarTools

Post by trobbet »

Howdy--Just joined the group. I started trying to use StarTools with some single shots jpg's and png's, and although I was amazed at what I've got out of some limited data of M-33 & M-31 so far, I realize I need to do some stacking and adding at least some dark frames in order to get the quality for which I'm looking. From reading these posts its seems that Fits files are also preferred.

So here's the rub... I only have an older Macbook, and because of costs and some stubborness, I don't want to run Windows. I've tried Lyncos for stacking in the past for planets, but I have not seen any mention of using it here in prep for ST's, and I don't know how well it works with deep sky. I wish DSS was available for Macs...

So it seems I'm left with Nebulosity. Of which I'm wanting to hear opinions about, but the $80 cost, and yet another learning curve, at this point, is also a significant consideration. Any thoughts, opinions, etc. would be very much be appreciated!

PS, I hate to admit that for me, once again, I'm wondering whether my stubborness considering a Windows computer, still serves me. However, in the last 3 years or so, I have several times been at this precipice with this hobby, and every time I have ended up finding very reliable work-a-rounds, and more than adequate software to keep me with this old Macbook.

BTW, I'm using a Modified Canon 60D with various scopes.

Cheers, Happy Holidays, & CS, Tom
admin
Site Admin

Re: Question for Mac users of StarTools

Post by admin »

Hi Tom,

Nebulosity *is* a great program.
You could also try WINE for MacOSX to run DSS with. YMMV.
Other users may want to chime in here as well...

Happy holidays!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
trobbet

Post by trobbet »

Ivo,
Thanks for your suggestions!

I briefly "attempted" to download Wine..., then downloaded the demo of Nebulosity. Spent some time using the demo version, and as you suggested, it looks good. As much as money is tight right now, and I only really need it for stacking at this point, and I didn't want to have to go through learning yet another application, I'm leaning toward buying it. I like the idea of a Mac native application, and I do want to support astronomy software authors such as you and Craig Stark.
So if it isn't in the cards, soon, for you to be adding a stacking module to StarTools, it looks like I will buy Nebulosity.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year, Tom
trobbet

Post by trobbet »

Ivo,

I just wanted to post a follow up. I did end up going with Nebulosity. It has worked wonders for my early entrance into pre-processing DSLR images. So now I am getting even more out of StarTools!

Again,Thanks, for your suggestions!

CS, and Happy New Year, Tom
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

trobbet wrote:Ivo,

I just wanted to post a follow up. I did end up going with Nebulosity. It has worked wonders for my early entrance into pre-processing DSLR images. So now I am getting even more out of StarTools!

Again,Thanks, for your suggestions!

CS, and Happy New Year, Tom
That's great! :thumbsup: Happy new year to you too.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast