In-Camera White Balance

General discussion about StarTools.
JMorris

In-Camera White Balance

Post by JMorris »

What is the best in-camera white balance setting to use for images to be processed in StarTools? I have a Canon Rebel T3/1100D and the choices are: Auto, Daylight (~5200K), Shade (~7000K), Cloudy (~6000K), Tungsten light (~3200K), White fluorescent light (~4000K), Flash and Custom. I don't see any way of turning it off.

Jim
admin
Site Admin

Re: In-Camera White Balance

Post by admin »

JMorris wrote:What is the best in-camera white balance setting to use for images to be processed in StarTools? I have a Canon Rebel T3/1100D and the choices are: Auto, Daylight (~5200K), Shade (~7000K), Cloudy (~6000K), Tungsten light (~3200K), White fluorescent light (~4000K), Flash and Custom. I don't see any way of turning it off.

Jim
Hi Jim,

When stacking RAW images, the white balance will (should) be automatically ignored, so don't worry about the white balance setting; it only applies to the JPEG images (which you shouldn't use for stacking!).
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
JMorris

Post by JMorris »

Thanks Ivo! I probably should have known that but . . . there are a lot of things about that camera I don't know! :confusion-shrug:

Jim
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JMorris wrote:Thanks Ivo! I probably should have known that but . . . there are a lot of things about that camera I don't know! :confusion-shrug:

Jim
AP means constant learning - it never stops, even for me!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast