Free stacking software-anybody tried this?

General discussion about StarTools.
Cheman

Free stacking software-anybody tried this?

Post by Cheman »

Today I came across another free stacking program. the Grip http://www.grelf.net/index.html In the quest for truly virgin stacked data, I was wondering if anyone has tried it and what were the results? Better/worse than DSS? Ivo-maybe if you have time, peruse the website and if it looks of value to you, I'll be happy to download it and give it a shot. Here is a link to the Grip software specifically, in case you want to bypass the rest of the website http://www.grelf.net/grip_intro.html
Che
admin
Site Admin

Re: Free stacking software-anybody tried this?

Post by admin »

First time I heard of this software!

It's great the author made his work available for others to use and it's pretty clear the author is also passionate about AP on a shoestring budget. :thumbsup: That said - and don't take this as being disparaging of his work - putting an image of M42 on the home page that appears to black clipped does not bode too well for the use of this software for serious AP, but maybe this was early work or done in error....

The stacking might be worth a try? Let us know!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

Well its obvious he SHOULD have used StarTools for his post-processing :lol:

Che
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

Trying to open my nebulosity .fit files. Grip wont open that extension. It seems to open .fits and .fts but for the life of me I can't figure out how to change the extension on the nebulosity file. Window 7 change file name does not let me change extention. Can anybody tell me how to do this
Che-feeling stupid

Edit: nevermind. I figured that out. :icon-redface: But still cant get it to open in Grip :angry-cussingblack:
also will not open autosave.fit from DSS but it WILL open khyperia's standard deviation.fits perhaps I'll shoot an e-mail to the developer.

Che