The Layer module...help!

General discussion about StarTools.
ancienteyes

The Layer module...help!

Post by ancienteyes »

I think this tool *really* needs a comprehensive tutorial.
I have had a look at the "Unofficial User Manual", but it really doesn't go into much depth on Layers.
I'm sure Layers has the potential for all kinds of usefulness, but I need much more help than what I have found so far.
If Ivo or another Star Tools expert can put something together, I'm sure I will not be the only grateful person.
Cheman

Re: The Layer module...help!

Post by Cheman »

ancienteyes wrote:I think this tool *really* needs a comprehensive tutorial.
I have had a look at the "Unofficial User Manual", but it really doesn't go into much depth on Layers.
I'm sure Layers has the potential for all kinds of usefulness, but I need much more help than what I have found so far.
If Ivo or another Star Tools expert can put something together, I'm sure I will not be the only grateful person.
I'll second that!

Che
ancienteyes

Post by ancienteyes »

"Earth to Ivo....Earth to Ivo....come in please...."
Lol...I'm sure he's working up an awesome, Layers tutorial for us right now (?)
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

I'm hopeing he's getting a well earned vacation, for all the effort he puts in here. :thumbsup:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Whoops... missed this one! Sorry guys - have been under the weather the past few days.

The Layer module is the 'catch-all' / fallback module in StarTools, allowing for some pretty exotic (as well as mundane) pixel math. The trouble is that it's insanely flexible and is, by design, not created with any sort of end-use in mind. It's the only real open-ended tool in StarTools.

What are the aspects that you guys would be interested in?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Alvinillo

Post by Alvinillo »

It would be nice to have an updated help in 'Filter type' field to cover those new methods.

In the Layer help, it would be nice to add the tip that explains how to repair the ringing stars.

Regards
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alvinillo wrote:It would be nice to have an updated help in 'Filter type' field to cover those new methods.
Agreed!

In the meantime, I've been working hard on something that is going to make documentation, tutorials and general user communication a whole lot more streamlined and effective.
Ivo Jager
ancienteyes

Post by ancienteyes »

Hey Ivo!

Sorry to hear you were not well and trust you will be back on top form soon.

I wish I could specify exactly what I'd like to do with the Layer tool. However, as you imply, it is a tool with a vast range of usages.
So, I want to know about everything it can do...lol!

I know for some time you have been tempting us with hints of new documentation etc.
I for one, can't wait to see what you've cooked up.
For instance, with a more comprehensive users manual, Star Tools would become better than ever, especially for new users like myself.

Looking forward to the next step in the evolution of Star Tools!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The back-end is in place now and will actually launch commercially soon in its own right. It's a system I wrote for my 'other' company (the one that pays the bills so I can keep StarTools afloat), which has been in the works for 2 years now.
Without going into detail just yet, there are a lot of parallels between it and StarTools (making something very complex very simple and lowering cost of entry), and supporting StarTools with this new system has alway been one of the main use cases it needed to satisfy. As such, some work has already been done to move over StarTools to this new system, but a lot more remains.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific right now - I don't want to do things 'half arsed' (as they say around here) and only formally announce things once they're ready. All I can say is that they are very busy times indeed!
Ivo Jager
Amaranthus

Post by Amaranthus »

Thanks for all the hard work on that Ivo - needless to say, your ST community greatly appreciates you!
Long-time visual observer, now learning the AP dark arts...