Initial entry to Program

General discussion about StarTools.
Ridgesoar

Initial entry to Program

Post by Ridgesoar »

I use an Atik 428 and Nebulosity to preprocess. I debayer, normalize, and stack. Which of the four entry's do I check on opening Startools?? Should I not debayer for best results or....... Thanks. Please , anyone -- debayer or not
admin
Site Admin

Re: Initial entry to Program

Post by admin »

Hi,

Apologies for the tardy reply - things are very busy here!

If you are using Nebulosity, choose "Linear, was not Bayered or is whtebalanced". Nebulosity unfortunately white balances your data (unless there is an option to turn that off these days - I don't know!).
If using an application like PixInsight for stacking, which does not color balance the data, you can choose "Linear, was Bayered, is not white balanced" for a modest noise reduction accuracy boost.

StarTools does not actually debayer your data through these options, this will already have been done by the stacker at this point.

Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Ridgesoar

Re: Initial entry to Program

Post by Ridgesoar »

Been off for a while and now I,m back up and using a Nikon 810a. I use DSS for my stacking and I m a bit confused with the Manual as to where I would enter this data. A footnote says that DSS color balances in spite of what you tell it. Am I "Linear,was bayered, is not white balanced" or "Modified and not linear", in which case should I try "reverse stretching " ? Thanks for getting me started! Don't know if manual is new since I first tried the program but it looks great and will really help! John