Processing moon and other images

General discussion about StarTools.
Lawrence

Processing moon and other images

Post by Lawrence »

I can see that ST could well be 'my' kind of software - but is it suitable for processing images of the moon, and perhaps other non-routine-sky images? I wanted to use ST for procesisng a lunar image but could not find any explanation of the 'sharp' facilty to try enhancing the image.

TIA for any comments.

Lawrence
admin
Site Admin

Re: Processing moon and other images

Post by admin »

Hi Lawrence,

StarTools is indeed quite well equipped for lunar photography. Things you will appreciate are the deconvolution (Decon), HDR and wavelet sharpening (Sharp) modules in particular.
The best I can recommend is to give the demo a try with some of your data images. For best results, use linear data, originating from RAW files. You can use stacked data data acquired with in video mode as well, but be sure to indicate the data has been "modified and not linear" (which is the case for most video sources) upon opening it. Linearity is an important requirement for some algorithms such as deconvolution to be able to achieve best (e.g. mathematically correct) results.

Hope this helps & wishing you clear skies,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

admin wrote:Hi Lawrence,

StarTools is indeed quite well equipped for lunar photography. Things you will appreciate are the deconvolution (Decon), HDR and wavelet sharpening (Sharp) modules in particular.
The best I can recommend is to give the demo a try with some of your data images. For best results, use linear data, originating from RAW files. You can use stacked data data acquired with in video mode as well, but be sure to indicate the data has been "modified and not linear" (which is the case for most video sources) upon opening it. Linearity is an important requirement for some algorithms such as deconvolution to be able to achieve best (e.g. mathematically correct) results.

Thanks. I had a quick look to see but found no instructions. Many options were shown; do we just experiment with the parameters?

Lawrence
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lawrence wrote:
admin wrote:Hi Lawrence,

Thanks. I had a quick look to see but found no instructions. Many options were shown; do we just experiment with the parameters?

Lawrence
There is in-program help for each parameter, however to get you started the quickest, uploading some of your data here publicly (or if you wish privately) we can have a look at its characteristics and advise further.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast