New to the forum

General discussion about StarTools.
Ozzynov

New to the forum

Post by Ozzynov »

Hi all, I have just purchased Star Tools after having a play with the Demo version. Is there a check list or defined order that I should follow when working with Astro pictures in ST. I understand that what works for one persons project may not entirely apply to the next. If there is a basic process format that steers a newbie like me in the right direction that would perhaps avoid a lot of confusion. I want to avoid getting the sequence wrong and not enjoying the experience or the end result. I have done some searching of the forum but not found anything.
Some of the pictures of M42 that you chaps have posted are great. I hope that I will be able to achieve something like those soon.

Lawrence.
Burly

Re: New to the forum

Post by Burly »

Try this too get you going > STARTOOLS
> Open fits image if processed in DSS chose bottom left option button - Autodev-keep-crop-keep-wipe-keep-(important you must manual Dev now ) stretch too suit-keep-contrast-keep-HDR-keep-work your way down list of options to suit , I use colour module last before turning tracking off , after which you can denoise image then save .
Ozzynov

Post by Ozzynov »

Thank you for that Burly,
I will follow your workflow and see if I get a better result. Since my original post I have been searching the forum archives and have found some useful info. I am still waiting for my activation key so I will use the time to search for more info. At my local astronomy club meeting tonight a few of the guys gave a demo of how they work with their images and all were using WINDOWS software for their stacking and Processing, as we are a Mac household I am finding it quite difficult to get something that I am able to understand and work with. I even dowloaded Crossover on my iMac to enable me to run the Windows programs i.e. Printshop Pro & AstroArt all to no avail. So I will have to try and get to grips with Keith's Image Stacker again.

Lawrence.
Burly

Post by Burly »

this may be of some use for mac users https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/2640 ... nt-2891490
Ozzynov

Post by Ozzynov »

Hi Burly, I followed your workflow and got a very passable result so thanks again. I have had a look at the info in your link and there is some good advice there on the various Mac programs. I will spend some time and have a play with them.
Great stuff

Ta
Lawrence.
Burly

Post by Burly »

Great job at least my work flow has got you on the right steps :thumbsup:
ecuador

Post by ecuador »

There is nothing as good as DSS for stacking that is Mac native and at a "logical" price or free as far as I know, so I am personally using DSS in a VM (Fusion).
Ozzynov

Post by Ozzynov »

Hi Equador, I will be looking at DSS as I have found something called a Wineskin which will run DSS on Mac, so I will look into that and see if it does what it says it will do on the can.

Lawrence.
ecuador

Post by ecuador »

DSS can run successfully using Wine as far as I know, so that should work out. If it doesn't and you don't already use a non-free VM solution like Fusion or Parallels to run a Windows desktop on your Mac, there is also the free solution of VirtualBox.