colour balance woes

General discussion about StarTools.
alacant

colour balance woes

Post by alacant »

Hi everyone

I changed cameras from a normal Nikon to a Canon with the red (IR?) filter removed. OK, I can now take snaps of M8, but eveything else has got worse. Everything else is red and an absolute nightmare to colour correctly.

With the Nikon, the DSS colurs were more or less on top of each other and I hardly ever needed to touch the colour. Now, with the Canon, everything is red, especially the noise, and it much (MUCH) harder to get anywhere near the colour. Calling ST colour then makes matters worse as it's then a battle with the green as the default seems to have reduced the reduce-red slider to half way across.

I'm tempted to align the channels in DSS but I know that's not recommended. I'm uploading the fts at the moment if anyone has the time to have a look. I can attach the dss screen-snap now. As each image takes several hours to wipe and denoise (AMD E1 with 8GB RAM) any hints would be most gratefully received <self-pìty> I'm wasting days on end waiting for each image to process (sic)!</self-pity>

fts:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_uUt ... 2xKeFNTMXM
TIA,
Steve
dss.JPG
dss.JPG (101.69 KiB) Viewed 5844 times
alacant

Re: colour balance woes

Post by alacant »

A few minutes after M13, M93. Same exposures, same constellation, same everything else apart from the target. Now it's blue...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uUt0 ... sp=sharing
Ahhgghh!
almcl

Post by almcl »

I've had a little go (non expert disclaimer here) and it seems to come up quite nicely. There are some stacking artefacts to crop out and a gradient which wipe deals with.

Is this the sort of thing you were getting?
m13-dark.jpg
m13-dark.jpg (107.93 KiB) Viewed 5829 times
Skywatcher 190MN, ASI 2600 or astro modded Canon 700d, guided by OAG, ASI120, PHD2
alacant

Post by alacant »

Hi and thanks for processing. Yours is much better than my efforts. How did you get rid of the red noise? One clue you supplied was the stacking artefacts. I did AutoDev > Wipe > Dev 80% > Colour. Maybe a crop before the AutoDev?
TIA
almcl

Post by almcl »

The work flow was Bin> AutoDev> Crop> Wipe > Dev (83.46%) > Decon> Wavelet Sharpen > HDR > Contrast > Life (isolate preset) > Color (cap green to yellow).

You don't mention binning in your work flow; you may find it helps speed up the processing as well as reducing any possible oversampling?
Skywatcher 190MN, ASI 2600 or astro modded Canon 700d, guided by OAG, ASI120, PHD2