problem with noise

Bugs, glitches and unexpected behaviour.
1074j

problem with noise

Post by 1074j »

Ivo,
I've noticed a problem for some time when using denoise. It leaves behind many single dark pixels, mainly in the darker areas of the image. The only way to get rid of them is to turn up the scale 3-5 to higher values, which then removes too much detail. Attached is an example of this. The image is enlarged and contrast stretched out in order to see this better. This image also had deconv and sharping applied. I normally use scale1=100, scale2=90 scale3=50 scale4=0 scale5=0. Maybe I'm using denoise incorrectly? Thanks for any help.
Lex

Original image http://www.astrobin.com/full/89653/B/?real=&mod=

Another example-you can see the dark pixels mainly on the right side http://www.astrobin.com/full/89774/B/
Attachments
noise.jpg
noise.jpg (142.15 KiB) Viewed 9123 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: problem with noise

Post by admin »

Hmmm... that's odd. Could you perhaps share the data (or a crop of the data) and your processing log? It would bemuch appreciated!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
1074j

Post by 1074j »

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you until now. The fit file is here:
http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/~leuthold/L.fit

-----------------------------------------------------------
StarTools 1.3.5.275
-----------------------------------------------------------
File loaded [F:\astro\ngc3344\Lv2.tiff].
---
File loaded [F:\astro\ngc3344\L.fit].
---
--- Develop
Parameter [White Calibration] set to [Use Stars]
Parameter [Gamma] set to [1.00]
Parameter [Skyglow] set to [0 %]
Parameter [Digital Development] set to [70.50 %]
Parameter [Blue Luminance Contrib.] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Green Luminance Contrib.] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Red Luminance Contrib.] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Headroom] set to [5 %]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Filter] set to [Off]
--- Crop
Parameter [X1] set to [4 pixels]
Parameter [Y1] set to [4 pixels]
Parameter [X2] set to [1371 pixels (-5)]
Parameter [Y2] set to [1094 pixels (-6)]
--- Develop
Parameter [White Calibration] set to [Use Stars]
Parameter [Gamma] set to [1.00]
Parameter [Skyglow] set to [0 %]
Parameter [Digital Development] set to [84.60 %]
Parameter [Blue Luminance Contrib.] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Green Luminance Contrib.] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Red Luminance Contrib.] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Headroom] set to [5 %]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Filter] set to [Off]
--- Deconvolution
Parameter [Image Type] set to [Deep Space]
Parameter [Mask Behavior] set to [De-ring Mask Gaps, Hide Result]
Parameter [Radius] set to [4.0 pixels]
Parameter [Iterations] set to [6]
Parameter [Regularization] set to [1.00 (optimal noise and detail)]
Parameter [Mask Fuzz] set to [8.0 pixels]
--- Wavelet Sharpen
Parameter [Intelligent Enhance] set to [Yes]
Parameter [Scale 1] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Scale 2] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Scale 3] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Scale 4] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Scale 5] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Mask Fuzz] set to [8.0 pixels]
Parameter [Amount] set to [200 %]
Parameter [Small Detail Bias] set to [75 %]
--- Wavelet De-Noise
Parameter [Scale 1] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Scale 2] set to [97 %]
Parameter [Scale 3] set to [83 %]
Parameter [Scale 4] set to [68 %]
Parameter [Scale 5] set to [50 %]
Parameter [Mask Fuzz] set to [1.0 pixels]
Parameter [Scale Correlation] set to [3]
Parameter [Color Detail Loss] set to [12 %]
Parameter [Brightness Detail Loss] set to [12 %]
Parameter [Redistribution Kernel] set to [4.5 pixels]
Parameter [Read Noise Compensation] set to [Off]
Parameter [Smoothness] set to [75 %]

admin wrote:Hmmm... that's odd. Could you perhaps share the data (or a crop of the data) and your processing log? It would bemuch appreciated!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I used your data and log to recreate something similar to what you posted before. Is this the issue you are experiencing?
anim.gif
anim.gif (313.07 KiB) Viewed 9087 times
If so, then, as you can see, StarTools merely leaves in what it thinks is detail. Indeed, the specks that it leaves in stands out from the random noise and must almost certainly be introduced somewhere down the line (whether genuine detail or issues with the flat frames).
If StarTools picks up such detail and you believe the detail is clumped together read noise (statisctically unlikely but can't be ruled out), then increase the Read Noise Compensation parameter. It will attack read noise induced noise specifically.
If this does not illustrate the issue you're experiencing, then do let me know and we'll do some more sleuthing!
Ivo Jager
1074j

Post by 1074j »

Yes, this is about what I see. I did try turning up RNC to 10% and it did help quite a bit and will use this in the future. Thanks!
Lex
admin wrote:Hi,

I used your data and log to recreate something similar to what you posted before. Is this the issue you are experiencing?
anim.gif
If so, then, as you can see, StarTools merely leaves in what it thinks is detail. Indeed, the specks that it leaves in stands out from the random noise and must almost certainly be introduced somewhere down the line (whether genuine detail or issues with the flat frames).
If StarTools picks up such detail and you believe the detail is clumped together read noise (statisctically unlikely but can't be ruled out), then increase the Read Noise Compensation parameter. It will attack read noise induced noise specifically.
If this does not illustrate the issue you're experiencing, then do let me know and we'll do some more sleuthing!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Awesome! :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
1074j

Post by 1074j »

I have to change my answer from a "yes" to RNC helps to "sometimes". Here's another example from another user on astrobin that I found. Look at the darker areas in the bottom right corner especially, and you can see all the dark specks. When I still have the problem, I typically increase the denoise sliders and also increase "smoothness". Sometimes this works OK, sometimes it blurs too much. I'm not really bothered by it as I can usually work around the problem, but I though you may want to see another example from a different user.
Lex

http://www.astrobin.com/full/97233/0/?real=&mod=
1074j wrote:Yes, this is about what I see. I did try turning up RNC to 10% and it did help quite a bit and will use this in the future. Thanks!
Lex
admin wrote:Hi,

anim.gif