2 Repeteable bugs

Bugs, glitches and unexpected behaviour.
Alvinillo

2 Repeteable bugs

Post by Alvinillo »

First of all, let me to congratulate you for this excellent piece of software. It takes some time to get used to it, but once you get comfortable wtih, it becomes extremely powerful.

I come with something that I believe you programmers love to fix, a repeteable bug. I'm using Startools 1.3.5.283 RC 64bits Demo version but these bugs are not new to this version, simply I've discovered how to reproduce them.

Bug #1: Corrupted image.
I've tested it on a pair of images and the bug is repeteable. In case you need it, here is a link to an image with wich I can reproduce the bug

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kitsu6f2of5ug ... %20Leo.fit

- Open as "Linear, was Bayered, is not whitebalanced"
- Autodev with default values
- Wipe with Temporary Autodev On and agresiveness set to 90 and darkpixels to 5 (may be changing values is enough)
- Development to 95,62% (or something useful)
- Deconvolution using the automated mask. At this point you get something like this.
Right development
Right development
Fine.jpg (197.62 KiB) Viewed 8300 times
- Manually develop it again and the image becomes corrupted like this.
Corrupted Development
Corrupted Development
corrupted.jpg (164.25 KiB) Viewed 8300 times
Of course this is not a very logical processing sequence, but it is the way to reproduce an error wich happens frecuently if you like to refine development while processing

I've found that, after being stuck in the middle of a processing with this error, if I Restore to "Globally stretches, Wiped, Deconvolved" it restores the image even if I lose some of the work

Bug #2: Startools Crash

This is a more elusive bug, it doesn´t happen always and I think it has more to do with Startools background processing.
As before, here is an image(very poor of course) that makes Startools to crash
https://www.dropbox.com/s/84k0usd9u96t9bv/ngc1333.zip

- Open a fairly big image like 3000x2000 as "Linear, was Bayered, is not whitebalanced"
- Autodev with default values
- Enter Color module
- Mask->Auto->Stars (very noisy selection in my case) and Keep
- Press Sample
- Mask->Clear->Invert->Keep
- Inmediately press Sample and Startools crashes

The procedure is really idiotic but it is the way I've got to reproduce the crash. I hope this bug is the same that the one that really annoys me and that I've not been able to reproduce. It happens when a common procedure to calibrate color, that is, Mask->Auto->Stars->Do->Keep | Sample | Mask->Clear->Invert->Keep , when executed with no delays, crashes Startools

If you fail to reproduce these failures I'll be happy to send you more information. My system is an Intel i7 with 16Gb RAM on Win7 64bits

P.D. Thanks again for this wonderful software :bow-yellow:
admin
Site Admin

Re: 2 Repeteable bugs

Post by admin »

Many, many thanks for the comprehensive bug report and associated data!
This is absolutely invaluable. :bow-yellow:

I'll get back to you once I have had the chance to investigate.

Thanks again!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, a new version is up that yields better results when doing a restretch using AutoDev (but, alas, not yet for a manual Develop).
The reasons for this (as you may have already suspected) have to do with the Tracking information and how much of it is stored to compensate for non-commutative operations. There is extra work that I need to do in this area. While the Tracking engine has exceeded my expectations throughout the 1.3 life cycle, some redesign is in order to improve behaviour in fringe cases such as these.

I rarely use a manual Develop though, as AutoDev with an ROI almost always yields much superior results (so too with the data that you so graciously shared with me).

I am yet to replicate the crash but I will keep trying.

Again, thanks so much for this comprehensive bug report!
Ivo Jager
Alvinillo

Post by Alvinillo »

Thank for the attention, Ivo. I've downloaded the new 1.3.5.284 RC version and i'm not able to reproduce bug#1 whith those steps, I had to play a little bit more wih the image to get it corrupted again so, it is a somewhat good revision. I've also tried to play with the image using only AutoDevs and I got it corrupted again, but this happened doing more than 4 Autodevs between steps, so it's not a concern.

Obviously bug#2 persists. Tell me if i can help you to track down the problem. It also would be useful if others users try to replicate it and post it here.

This is the debug error in case it helps you

Code: Select all

Firma con problemas:
  Nombre del evento de problema:	APPCRASH
  Nombre de la aplicación:	StarTools-Windows64.exe
  Versión de la aplicación:	0.0.0.0
  Marca de tiempo de la aplicación:	5377f137
  Nombre del módulo con errores:	StarTools-Windows64.exe
  Versión del módulo con errores:	0.0.0.0
  Marca de tiempo del módulo con errores:	5377f137
  Código de excepción:	c0000005
  Desplazamiento de excepción:	00000000000c7086
  Versión del sistema operativo:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Id. de configuración regional:	3082
  Información adicional 1:	3b09
  Información adicional 2:	3b0916e1a9b7a57a072e2546af0a06e1
  Información adicional 3:	721b
  Información adicional 4:	721b65d72de11147593e6bee1db83e1f
It crashes in the same way with 32 bits version

Regards
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, I *finally* managed to reproduce this bug, across all versions too. It was a nasty one... :evil: (it required some specific timing)
It should (hopefully) be fixed in 1.3.285RC, up for download now.

Thanks again for reporting this as well as your patience!
Ivo Jager
Alvinillo

Post by Alvinillo »

I'm glad you finally nailed the bug! You are going to hate me, but you forgot to update the text in the web download link line :oops:

Edit: With this new version it seems to works fine, I've not managed to crash it :)

Regards
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alvinillo wrote:I'm glad you finally nailed the bug! You are going to hate me, but you forgot to update the text in the web download link line :oops:
Ugh... Brain not working today... :violence-shootself:
Edit: With this new version it seems to works fine, I've not managed to crash it :)
Awesome! :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager