Help disabled & Wipe-Autodev mismatch

Bugs, glitches and unexpected behaviour.
Amaranthus

Help disabled & Wipe-Autodev mismatch

Post by Amaranthus »

I was using ST for a few hours last night, and at some points the "?" help buttons stopped responding (clicking on them did nothing). I fixed this once by exiting the submodel (e.g. develop) and then re-entering, but another time, I had to shut down the whole programme. I'll watch carefully and see if I can replicate this.

Also, at one point I was using Wipe with Autodev preview turned on, and spent some time getting the look just right. However, when I exited Wipe, and then applied Autodev to the new image, the resultant product looked VERY different to what the preview had indicated (heavily overexposed, and with saturated colours). I managed to get a nice image in Dev by using 30% develop, but I'm still bemused at why the two Autodevs didn't match up. Again, I'll investigate further and see if I can trace any consistency in this.
Long-time visual observer, now learning the AP dark arts...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help disabled & Wipe-Autodev mismatch

Post by admin »

Thanks for reporting this!
Amaranthus wrote:I was using ST for a few hours last night, and at some points the "?" help buttons stopped responding (clicking on them did nothing). I fixed this once by exiting the submodel (e.g. develop) and then re-entering, but another time, I had to shut down the whole programme. I'll watch carefully and see if I can replicate this.
Hmmmm.... Will keep an eye out for this bug. :think:
Also, at one point I was using Wipe with Autodev preview turned on, and spent some time getting the look just right. However, when I exited Wipe, and then applied Autodev to the new image, the resultant product looked VERY different to what the preview had indicated (heavily overexposed, and with saturated colours). I managed to get a nice image in Dev by using 30% develop, but I'm still bemused at why the two Autodevs didn't match up. Again, I'll investigate further and see if I can trace any consistency in this.
The Temporary AutoDev feature in Wipe is just a visual aid and doesn't give the full control that AutoDev affords. The reason it's there in Wipe is that Wipe radically changes (frees up) the dynamic range available, which can then go on to show other issues/problems that Wipe should be taking into account (ex. stacking arifacts or other 'dark anomalies').
The 'real' AutoDev is best used with a Region of Interest over a patch of your image that is best representative of the dynamic range you'd like to show. You can use it w/o an ROI if everything in the image is equally important.

Don't worry about the colours either; the Color module should set everything straight - use it towards the end of your processing flow and before switching Tracking off.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Amaranthus

Re: Help disabled & Wipe-Autodev mismatch

Post by Amaranthus »

Thanks Ivo, that's useful to know re: Temporary AutoDev.

I have found that if I used the colour module (with tracking on) and then went back and tried another Autodev, it looked really funked out (to the point that I didn't end up redoing the stretch). I guessed maybe that workflow didn't make sense!
Long-time visual observer, now learning the AP dark arts...