Repair Module

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
Melty

Repair Module

Post by Melty »

Hi,

My feature request goes along the line of further refinement of the Repair module.

RC's BlurXterminator now has the ability to re-synthesize stars plagued with artifacts such as heavy coma, trailing and astigmatism, via the Correct Only function. The results really are quite something to behold.

https://www.rc-astro.com/blurxterminato ... 4-release/

Yes, I realise the aim of Startools is not to employ AI or "invent new detail", but sometimes when dealing with poor datasets, my standard operating procedure of utilizing either the Repair or Layer modules to remedy misshapen stars, falls somewhat short.

Layer (used in Darken mode) and Repair's Warp algorithm seem to deal with minor abnormalities well, but when dealing with high levels of distortion, Repair's Redistribute algorithm does not seem to render realistic looking stars at all. They look more like spheres than stars, and no amount of tweaking settings on my part can improve things to my satisfaction.

The Warp algorithm seems to headed in the right direction, but maybe a higher level of correction than present is what's needed? :think:

I know the adage of "garbage in, garbage out" ultimately applies, but sometimes our data doesn't always come out the way we'd like it to. :)

Any thoughts on this?

Many Thanks :thumbsup:
hixx

Re: Repair Module

Post by hixx »

Hi Melty,
I definetely agree on the Redistribute part here. Mostly I don't need Repair at all, thanks to my APO but if I do, I usually use Warp. Sometimes Redistribute creates "Saturn-like" globs with surrounding rings. I think that this is highly dependent on the star mask, and this is where improvements probably need to start: rather than using AI to invent detail, ST could use AI to better identify objects and create more valid masks
Clear Skies,
Jochen
Melty

Post by Melty »

Hi Jochen

Yes, that's a good idea. I've no idea how difficult that would be to implement, but an improvement would be welcome.
Melty

Post by Melty »

Hmm, I guess that's a no then.