Track maintained between sessions

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
cybereye

Track maintained between sessions

Post by cybereye »

Ivo,

If this is already a feature then please disregard this email!!

Is it possible (or does ST already do this) to maintain the Track between sessions. ie., can I start processing an image, save a file, shutdown my computer, come back at a later time and restart processing the image without losing all the information that Track uses for noise removal?

Cheers,
Mario

PS I'm finally doing a workshop for the Southern Astronomical Society on Startools next month so I'm keen to try out your latest release, 1.3.1.212, with lasoo, etc - should be good!!
gboulton

Re: Track maintained between sessions

Post by gboulton »

I asked this over on Reddit in the /r/StarTools subreddit, and got this reply :
Unfortunately, you are right. Saving your image does not save the tracking information that StarTools uses to provide enhanced functionality and noise reduction. I'm still researching ways to make this a feature for 1.4. In a nut shell, the trouble is that the meta information that ST keeps track of is approx 150 bytes per pixel on average (with scope for even more in the future). This means that, to store for example a 12MP image, approx 1.8Gb of storage space is required. It's when you see these kinds of numbers you start to appreciate the sheer amount of data the engine pushes around. I guess though that with storage space getting cheaper everyday, such storage requirements becomes less and less of a problem.
TL;DR: It's coming, but expect big files.
I mentioned the idea of using the Log file as a "reply script", which ivo said was the direction he was thinking at the time, but I don't know where that is now...
-- Gordon

My Astrobin
admin
Site Admin

Re: Track maintained between sessions

Post by admin »

cybereye wrote:Ivo,

If this is already a feature then please disregard this email!!

Is it possible (or does ST already do this) to maintain the Track between sessions. ie., can I start processing an image, save a file, shutdown my computer, come back at a later time and restart processing the image without losing all the information that Track uses for noise removal?
Hi Mario,

As Gordon mentions, it is definitely high on the wish-list. I'm currently working on re-jigging the way files are loaded and saved and got still good quite a bit of work to do on further improving the tracking feature. As part of that I'm looking loading and saving the workspace, instead of just the image you're seeing.
PS I'm finally doing a workshop for the Southern Astronomical Society on Startools next month so I'm keen to try out your latest release, 1.3.1.212, with lasoo, etc - should be good!!
That's fantastic Mario! Do let me know if you need any help or materials for your workshop. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast