Log -> BBCode Converter

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
gboulton

Log -> BBCode Converter

Post by gboulton »

Ivo,

As I was creating this morning's entry into the gallery, and posting my StarTools log, it occurred to me that the log format seems to have stabilized a good bit over the last few versions, and seems fairly consistent now.

That being the case, would you be agreeable to me attacking the idea of a web-based "log converter" for the site?

I'm thinking something that you could paste:

Code: Select all

--- Color
Parameter [Cap Green] set to [To Brown]
Parameter [Bottom End Saturation] set to [1.20]
Parameter [Top End Saturation] set to [6.60]
Parameter [Saturation] set to [524 %]
Parameter [Blue Ratio] set to [2.21]
Parameter [Green Ratio] set to [2.00]
Parameter [Red Ratio] set to [1.84]
Parameter [Mask Fuzz] set to [1.0 pixels]
And it would return :

Code: Select all

--- Color
[list]
[*]Parameter [Cap Green] set to [To Brown]
[*]Parameter [Bottom End Saturation] set to [1.20]
[*]Parameter [Top End Saturation] set to [6.60]
[*]Parameter [Saturation] set to [524 %]
[*]Parameter [Blue Ratio] set to [2.21]
[*]Parameter [Green Ratio] set to [2.00]
[*]Parameter [Red Ratio] set to [1.84]
[*]Parameter [Mask Fuzz] set to [1.0 pixels]
[/list]
...for the whole log, so we get:

--- Color
  • Parameter [Cap Green] set to [To Brown]
  • Parameter [Bottom End Saturation] set to [1.20]
  • Parameter [Top End Saturation] set to [6.60]
  • Parameter [Saturation] set to [524 %]
  • Parameter [Blue Ratio] set to [2.21]
  • Parameter [Green Ratio] set to [2.00]
  • Parameter [Red Ratio] set to [1.84]
  • Parameter [Mask Fuzz] set to [1.0 pixels]
That would make it quick and easy for us to post processing steps in both the Processing Troubleshooting and Gallery forums.

I could develop in PHP to keep everything nice and platform safe.

Thoughts?
-- Gordon

My Astrobin
admin
Site Admin

Re: Log -> BBCode Converter

Post by admin »

That's an absolutely brilliant idea Gordon!
Happy to 'give you the keys' to whatever you might need! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

That, or I could modify the log module to output BBCode instead (or in additon to the current log).
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
gboulton

Post by gboulton »

admin wrote:That's an absolutely brilliant idea Gordon!
Happy to 'give you the keys' to whatever you might need! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Well...I'd probably just host it over on one of my places, so I could code/tweak/mod/whatever I needed to, without bothering you. Then, if it ever saw life as a useful tool for the community, you'd be welcome to the code of course if you somehow wanted to integrate it into startools.org
That, or I could modify the log module to output BBCode instead (or in additon to the current log).
I thought about that...but it strikes me that some of us at least...and hopefully more as time goes on..like to post ST logs elsewhere as well, like /r/astrophotography or /r/StarTools on Reddit for example.

Personally, I feel the processing log is one of ST's most valuable 'hidden gems", in that it gives us as users an exceptional opportunity to discuss our workflows, and bounce ideas off each other. Meaning...eventually...we may see them sprouting up who-knows-where.

I think, then, a fairly basic "engine" to read the log, and then parse it, could be pretty quickly adapted to output in...well...anything. Reddit code, BBCode, Discus markup...whatever....rather than taking up user drive space and your time adding yet another format to the log.

I mean..obviously, you can make your log do whatever the hell you want. :) but that was the reasoning behind offering a web solution rather than asking for the change to ST. :D
-- Gordon

My Astrobin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Makes total sense Gordon! :thumbsup: Let me know if you need anything from me, or if you need any tags/hooks added to the log that would help you interpret/convert the log better.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast