Highlighting of "possible stacking artifacts"

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
StefanT

Highlighting of "possible stacking artifacts"

Post by StefanT »

Ivo,

ST almost always reminds me, that my picture may contain stacking artifacts. Sometimes it is rather obvious where these artifacts are located, but most of the times it isn't.
It would be very handy if ST could indicate where these artifacts are. I'd suggest something like an automask.

What do you think?

Stefan
admin
Site Admin

Re: Highlighting of "possible stacking artifacts"

Post by admin »

StefanT wrote:Ivo,

ST almost always reminds me, that my picture may contain stacking artifacts. Sometimes it is rather obvious where these artifacts are located, but most of the times it isn't.
It would be very handy if ST could indicate where these artifacts are. I'd suggest something like an automask.

What do you think?

Stefan
Thanks Stefan. Truly robust stacking artifact detection is tricky, as they come in many shapes, sizes and orientations. Depending on the stacker used, they are not always darker, but can simply be noisier than the rest of the image - very hard to detect programatically...
The best method to get rid of them is to simply instruct your stacker to only retain the frame that results from finding out where all frames intersect (ex. DSS' "intersection" mode).

Cheers,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

Hi Ivo
Does ST actually detect these possible stacking artifacts upon opening the file or is this just a standard reminder for us to look for them?
thanks once again for all your work and willingness to help all of us
Che
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cheman wrote:Hi Ivo
Does ST actually detect these possible stacking artifacts upon opening the file or is this just a standard reminder for us to look for them?
thanks once again for all your work and willingness to help all of us
Che
Hi Che,

Yes, StarTools tries to detect Stacking artifacts by looking for vertical and horizontal areas of rapidly changing brightness. That said, it's not 100% fool proof, so it may yield false positives (or negatives).

Cheers,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast