Cropping tool changes please?

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
OleCuss

Cropping tool changes please?

Post by OleCuss »

First, my thanks for the software. I've been using it for a while and I really think it is good stuff.

One thing I would like is if the cropping tool were to function differently. It would be much better if the cropping tool were to split the area to be kept into 9 blocks rather than the current 4 blocks.

In AP we have a tendency to just sort of center our target(s) to the extent possible and then acquire our images. We have lots of cues that push us that way which include the images scales with which we typically deal.

But this centering is frequently not the way to frame/construct an image. The Rule of Thirds used in terrestrial photography should also be applied to astrophotography when possible for more pleasing images. The current cropping tool is not friendly to this kind of cropping.

If we had a cropping tool which used 9 squares as do more conventional photography images it would make it easier to properly crop our images using the Rule of Thirds for the best presentation.

Along with this cropping tool box with the 9 blocks, it would be great to be able to left-click and hold the box to move it - and to be able to set/select the aspect ratio and/or actual dimensions of the cropping area so that it is easier to choose the size of the final image.

I'm hoping that this is not too difficult to implement.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cropping tool changes please?

Post by admin »

That's an excellent idea - framing is a very important part of AP (IMO). Noted!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast