Using StarNet++ with StarTools on linear data

Guides, tutorials, tips & tricks.

Using StarNet++ with StarTools on linear data

Postby admin » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:02 am

Hi all,

Some people have been playing with StarNet++, which attempts to use a NeuralNet to remove stars from an image. There are currently a good few limitations, one of them being that it only works on post-processed images. The following steps allow you to StarNet's output in StarTools on linear, unprocessed data.

Here is how (it's probably longer than needed, but I'm trying to be thorough and catch cases where the Starless image has been normalized as well);

1. Load the (stretched) StarNet input (e.g. with stars still in place) image in StarTools. Don't turn Tracking on.
2. Launch the Layer module.
3. Load the (stretched) StarNet output (e.g. with stars removed) image in the Layer module.
4. Set Layer Mode to "Difference". You could skip to step 9 here, but the following steps may be needed if the Starless image has been normalized.
5. Click Copy.
6. Click Paste Foreground.
7. Set Layer Mode to "Multiply Foreground Only".
8. Set Blend Amount to 500%.
9. Keep the result.
10. Launch the Develop module.
11. Set Skyglow to 49%.
12. Keep the result.
13. Save the image.
14. Now load your linear image into StarTools. Don't turn Tracking on just yet.
15. Launch the Heal module.
16. In the Mask editor, load the image you just saved as a mask. StarTools will automatically convert it into a mask and all stars should be correctly selected at this point.
17. Back in the Heal module, your stars will be healed out using the mask.
18. Keep the result.
19. Turn Tracking on & process as normal.

Hope this helps anyone!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Re: Using StarNet++ with StarTools on linear data

Postby almcl » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:36 am

Thanks for this, Ivo.

Had a play with Starnet and it certainly 'removes the stars' but ran into a problem with the work flow at step 3 above. StarTools will not load the Starnet output file:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 109 times

At first I thought this might be .tiff vs .tif confusion (the Starnet .bat file uses the .tif extension for some reason) but not so. I got round it by converting the .tif file to a .FTS file and this loaded correctly, but it made me wonder if there's something wrong with my system as ST often refuses to load a .tiff that has been created in other software?

Any thoughts would be welcome?
Skywatcher 200P with an astro modded Canon 700d, cls ccd filter, field flattener, guided by ASI 120, PHD2
almcl

Postby admin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:39 am

Hi,

StarTools only imports uncompressed IBM PC byte-order TIFFs, which most applications should be able to produce.
There are many types of compression, some even proprietary. Adding all these without significantly bloating the application (and running into licensing issues as well) is something I'm keen to avoid.

A simple solution would be to add a conversion step (for example using ImageMagick) to the batch file or script;
Code: Select all
convert input.tif -depth 16 +compress output16bituncompressed.tiff
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Postby almcl » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:26 am

Thanks for that, Ivo, I'll give it a shot.
Skywatcher 200P with an astro modded Canon 700d, cls ccd filter, field flattener, guided by ASI 120, PHD2
almcl

Return to Tutorials & Guides