Video: M8 in color with modest data

Guides, tutorials, tips & tricks.
admin
Site Admin

Video: M8 in color with modest data

Post by admin »

Hi guys,

In the following video we process a modest data set of M8, which was graciously donated to the public domain by Kurt M. (OttoMann at a AstronomyForum.net).

This dataset is a good representative of what beginning enthusiasts, or enthusiasts with sparse equipment would produce.
We tackle the many challenges typical of this sort of data; stacking artifacts, vingetting, light pollution and heavy noise. We show how to recover correct color and how to make the most of the data available.
We conclude with demonstrating StarTools' 'Repair' feature, restoring stars to a round appearance using original pixels and readings.

You can find the video in the StarTools Youtube channel at;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ZNaoMOJlA
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
gminder

Re: Video: M8 in color with modest data

Post by gminder »

Ivo,

This video was very enlightening. I will be watching it a few more times. It was nice to see the layers modules used but I didn't follow what you were trying to do with it. I'll watch it again.

Producing tutorials with less than perfect data is really helpful to the masses of APers who are trying to climb the processing learning curve with marginal data.

I do have one suggestion for your tutorial videos. More pop ups explaining what you are trying to accomplish in a module and with each change in settings would be great. For example, your tweaks in the Wavelet De-Noise module. And I am lost on the mask you created immediately after the De-Noise where you excluded red and changed the threshold. And I didn't get what was going on in the layers module. It looked like you opened it after pointing out the prominent blue rings around some of the stars. But I didn't see that the layers module changed anything.

Thanks again for the new tutorial!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Doh! :doh:

I just realised I never clicked 'publish' for the rest of the annotations in the video.
You should see many more now, right until the end! All your questions should be answered. My apolgies!
Ivo Jager
StefanT

Post by StefanT »

Great video, it helped me a lot (and you just received a post in the Bug Reports board :twisted: :D :D )
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Ivo. Viewed on my Samsung Galaxy Note - no annotations?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

artefact wrote:Ivo. Viewed on my Samsung Galaxy Note - no annotations?
Yes, sadly mobile YouTube clients don't support annotations... :(
Ivo Jager
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Great tutorial. Keep them coming...