Monochrome images

Guides, tutorials, tips & tricks.
Amaranthus

Monochrome images

Post by Amaranthus »

When working in greyscale monochrome images, how does the basic workflow differ compared to colour?

I presume you import with LRGB but just select the luminance channel? What about processing steps - anything to look out for or avoid compared to a standard DSLR or LRGB colour image?
Last edited by Amaranthus on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long-time visual observer, now learning the AP dark arts...
Amaranthus

Re: Monochrome images

Post by Amaranthus »

Here's an image of M20 in mono, processed through StarTools (imported as a normal file). Seemed to work out reasonably well. 25 x 60 sec with IR filter, but I admit I was flying a little blind!
TrifidM20_Stack_Orion.png
TrifidM20_Stack_Orion.png (322.89 KiB) Viewed 7528 times
Original FITS is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/158 ... _Orion.fit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

The workflow should be pretty much the same (with the obvious exclusion of the Color module - unless you want to add 'false' colour of course). You can just load the TIF/FITS file through the 'open' button - no need to go through LRGB.
Nice M20! Anything in particular you wished you knew more about? Flying blind works in StarTools, but the more you get to know StarTools the more you can become 'master of your own destiny'. :D
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Amaranthus

Post by Amaranthus »

Thanks Ivo, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't committing any serious processing faux pas, but it sounds like logic will dictate the day. There were a few instances in the modules where colour was mentioned as an option (balancing etc.) and I just used brightness, and I skipped the colour module completely. So all good. I'll follow the StarTools mantra then - what works, works!