Fuzzy border

Guides, tutorials, tips & tricks.
piprees

Fuzzy border

Post by piprees »

Hi, I managed to get 90x60secs of Bodes and Cigar galaxies, stacked with no other processing in DSS. I then went through the process in StarTools and got (what I thought) was actually a very good image, with good detail in Cigar and quite a distinct swirl in Bodes. The problem was a fuzzy border. On a full screen it was about 1cm thick and stated about 0.5cm from the edge, a bit like a thick rectangular picture frame but not right up to the edge of the image. In the end all I could think of was to crop it out which was ok but I just wonder where it came from and how I could have got rid of it. Any help will be gratefully received. Kind regards, P.
piprees

Re: Fuzzy border

Post by piprees »

Actually, going on from that, would it be possible to have a tutorial showing how to bring detail out of small areas of an image, bit like Bodes and Cigar. I'm doing pretty well at getting the whole image processed, like Orion nebula or triangulum, but still have difficulties with small areas that could benefit from greater enhancement. I'm guessing that it involves masks, (gasp, horror!!!). Now that's a subject that I really cannot get my head around yet. Please be gentle!! P.
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

piprees wrote:Hi, I managed to get 90x60secs of Bodes and Cigar galaxies, stacked with no other processing in DSS. I then went through the process in StarTools and got (what I thought) was actually a very good image, with good detail in Cigar and quite a distinct swirl in Bodes. The problem was a fuzzy border. On a full screen it was about 1cm thick and stated about 0.5cm from the edge, a bit like a thick rectangular picture frame but not right up to the edge of the image. In the end all I could think of was to crop it out which was ok but I just wonder where it came from and how I could have got rid of it. Any help will be gratefully received. Kind regards, P.
Hi Piprees
Any chance you could post the image. Sounds like you might need to crop the edges due to stacking artifacts. If present , they can wreek hovoc. Do this as your first action. It will really help the wipe module do its job, resulting in easier processing down the line.
Cant really tell without seeing the image.
Che
piprees

Post by piprees »

Ah.......I'm still on my trial period so I can't save anything, however I did bin and also crop. I actually cropped loads as the galaxies were off centre. It's a strange one as I'm doing another image and there's a hint of this framing thing starting to appear when I do a contrast. I'll try another with the image that I saved after a small amount of tweaking in DSS.
piprees

Post by piprees »

As well as using a slightly processed image I've followed a different tutorial. Not sure what I did differently but a better result. This program is really good, I'll have it for Christmas!!! :thumbsup: