libmv.so

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
Rowland

libmv.so

Post by Rowland »

Hi Ivo. Running latest ST needs libmv.so. Can ST be implemented library independent?
admin
Site Admin

Re: libmv.so

Post by admin »

Hi,

StarTools relies on the presence of GTK+ 2.x for simple file dialog stuff. GTK+ 2.x itself relies on a number of other shared objects such as (probably) libmv.so. Static linking of all these libraries is not really an option as that would effectively require making StarTools open source in the process as well (according to GTK's LGPL license). Not to mention making StarTools' filesize *huge*.

I was under the impression that most distros come with GTK by default as it is one of the most popular GUI toolkits. Can I ask what distro your are running?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Scratch that - it's got nothing to do with GTK+. It's an ekopath compiler dependency. Let me fix this...
Ivo Jager
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've reverted back to using GCC for Linux 64-bit instead of EKOpath. These dependencies are a bit of a headache both from a build and licensing point of view (EKOpath has just been open sourced).
The new download (1.1.91) is up.
Ivo Jager
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Thanks Ivo.