1.4.295 Alpha

Information on new releases and the latest new features.

1.4.295 Alpha

Postby admin » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:09 am

* Significantly enhanced noise reduction in Denoise module
* Great number of architectural changes and preparatory work under the hood
* Linux version no longer needs GTK, uses Zenity instead
* MacOSX 64-bit version
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Re: 1.4.295 Alpha

Postby MrMxyzptlk » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Now that is a much appreciated Christmas present :) Thank you and Merry Christmas
MrMxyzptlk

Postby AndyBooth » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks Ivo,
will be trying it out over xmas!

Regards,
Andy
AndyBooth

Postby MrMxyzptlk » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:53 pm

It works like a charm. De-noise is a little bit slower, but giving that it really seams to give better results, I presume it is because of the complexity of the algorithm so I don't really care for the extra few seconds.
The only problem I have found so far: when I read a FIT file for processing and than try to save it, until now, it told me that it will save in TIF because current format isn't available for saving, and than it saved in TIF. Now, it gives me a message that only TIF and JPG formats are available for saving, and does not automatically save it in TIF but takes me back to the main interface. The work around is to manually enter the extension after the file name, but I think if I work with an unsupported format for saving than it should take me automatically for the best available format to save (TIF in this case) without throwing me back to the main interface.
MrMxyzptlk

Postby admin » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:52 pm

MrMxyzptlk wrote:It works like a charm. De-noise is a little bit slower, but giving that it really seams to give better results, I presume it is because of the complexity of the algorithm so I don't really care for the extra few seconds.
The only problem I have found so far: when I read a FIT file for processing and than try to save it, until now, it told me that it will save in TIF because current format isn't available for saving, and than it saved in TIF. Now, it gives me a message that only TIF and JPG formats are available for saving, and does not automatically save it in TIF but takes me back to the main interface. The work around is to manually enter the extension after the file name, but I think if I work with an unsupported format for saving than it should take me automatically for the best available format to save (TIF in this case) without throwing me back to the main interface.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, de-noise is a bit slower. I have a lot of tweaking and optimisation to do still however, so I'm hoping some gains can be made.
Thanks also for letting me know about the TIFF/file dialog thing - as part of the (for the user quite boring) architectural updates all this stuff has been rewritten to enhance maintenance, portability and stability. You just found a small oversight :) Thanks for reporting this!
Ivo Jager
admin
Site Admin

Postby trobbet » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:33 am

Thanks Ivo!
Likewise, I'm excited to get and try this latest release of StarTools.

However, I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the Life Module.

I have found that using the Life module in the past, (usually "Isolate"), works well with my often noisy images to help reduce noise before the final Wavelet Denoise module. Twice in using Life/Isolate in ST 1.4 now, I get more noise than I had originally. Using the same two images, in the previous release, does not have this effect. Is this intentional for some reason?

Because Life did not help, I did not use it, but instead relied on the new Denoise module, which I feel did not make up for what the Life/ Isolate process accomplished with the previous ST's versions.
:cry:
Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks, Tom
trobbet

Postby admin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:51 am

trobbet wrote:Thanks Ivo!
I have found that using the Life module in the past, (usually "Isolate"), works well with my often noisy images to help reduce noise before the final Wavelet Denoise module. Twice in using Life/Isolate in ST 1.4 now, I get more noise than I had originally. Using the same two images, in the previous release, does not have this effect. Is this intentional for some reason?

Definitely not intentional!

I can't replicate this problem though... Does this always happen for you or is it just with one particular data set? Is this on Windows, Linux or Mac? 32-bit or 64-bit? Thanks!
Ivo Jager
admin
Site Admin

Postby trobbet » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:20 am

I have tried it on 3 separate data sets now, and more than once on at least one set. It happens every time I do it, and I know how to use this module pretty well.

Windows 64bit.

Thanks Tom
trobbet

Postby admin » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:21 am

trobbet wrote:I have tried it on 3 separate data sets now, and more than once on at least one set. It happens every time I do it, and I know how to use this module pretty well.

Windows 64bit.

Thanks Tom

Found it and squashed it. New version up! Thanks for reporting this...
Ivo Jager
admin
Site Admin

Postby trobbet » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:47 am

Thanks Ivo for all your incredible work! Its working wonderfully now!

:D Tom
trobbet

Return to New Releases