Windows 10 Lock Up, various modules

Bugs, glitches and unexpected behaviour.
GaryCurran

Windows 10 Lock Up, various modules

Post by GaryCurran »

Hi Ivo,
First of all, thanks for a great program. I'm still learning to use it, there is SO much here to learn, and so many different ways to do it, it'll take me a while before I can get it all down. Plus, as a new Astrophotographer, my data sets are limited.

I'm getting computer lock ups, randomly and unexpectedly. I have a Windows Pro machine, upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate, AMD quad core Phenom II running at 3GHz, 8GB of RAM, several hard drives. StarTools is running on the boot drive. I've gone through the drives and optimized them, so it shouldn't be the drives. Actually, before, I had the program running on a separate physical hard drive, and it also exhibited the same behavior there, as well.

I use a hardware monitor to watch the core activity, and at times I've seen all four cores max out at 100% utilization, but during that period, no lock up. Yet, this last time, I had a LRGB, no Luminence, loaded, and I started the AutoDev process. Hardware indicator was anywhere from 4% on one core to 50 something on another, and just lock up.

Since the program runs without installing itself, I created a new directory, and run it from there, but it does the same thing.

I am open to suggestions.

Thank you in advance!

Gary Curran
admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 Lock Up, various modules

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the report! I've had some reports from Linux users describing crashes that sound similar - there may be a pattern there. Any chance you could provide me with the dataset that locks up for you?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
GaryCurran

Post by GaryCurran »

admin wrote:Hi Gary,

Thanks for the report! I've had some reports from Linux users describing crashes that sound similar - there may be a pattern there. Any chance you could provide me with the dataset that locks up for you?
Ivo, actually, as I've found out, they aren't really "Lock Ups", per se. The computer just stops responding while the program works. It may take it up to 10 minutes in some modules for it to respond. This is often characterized in the Wipe Module and in the Noise Reduction module.

The Data Sets I'm using are not mine. The fifth post in this thread on Cloudy Nights contains the URL of a Dropbox account. I used the M31 data.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/51035 ... w-imagers/

While I have your attention, Alpha 1.4.305 does not save. If I open a FITS file, the same M31 data from above, and I go to save it, I don't get any message about what type of format, either TIFF or .JPG, like I do in 1.3, and it just tells me the file type is not supported and closes on me.

Thanks!

Gary
jopangel

Post by jopangel »

Gary,

I was having the same issues as you were when running wipe on an image, took eight hours to complete. What I ended up doing was running the "Troubleshoot compatibility" option after right clicking on the executable. It recommended running the program in windows 8 mode and it seems to have corrected the really slow processing.

Joey