STv1.4 Speckling With Decon

Bugs, glitches and unexpected behaviour.
KD0NPT-Astro

STv1.4 Speckling With Decon

Post by KD0NPT-Astro »

Tried using the Decon module in version 1.4 but image gets splattered with fine white speckling in random areas.

Went back to version 1.3 and it is fine.
KD0NPT-Astro

Re: STv1.4 Speckling With Decon

Post by KD0NPT-Astro »

KD0NPT-Astro wrote:Tried using the Decon module in version 1.4 but image gets splattered with fine white speckling in random areas.

Went back to version 1.3 and it is fine.

Used version 1.3 several times yesterday and it also did a random speckling over the image in Decon.

Using Windows7-64 with 16G memory. Nvidia graphic chipset.
smokey688i

Post by smokey688i »

I've had issues with this same thing, although I usually don't have an issue in 1.4. Best route for success that I've found is decon first thing after the bin, crop, wipe, develop steps - when I do anything else first is when I start to get random white pixels pop up in decon.
KD0NPT-Astro

Post by KD0NPT-Astro »

Went ahead and used V1.4 again this morning and did a new reprocessing of the same image. Entered DECON and it prompted to generate an automatic mask. The mask it generated was just a bunch of random groups of non-stars across the image. Clicked on Mask and entered that menu, chose Auto again, then Stars, it then made a mask with all the stars in "green", I also did one shrink and then chose Keep. After it left the mask area a message pops up and says not enough pixels have been selected. Tried the Invert function, background turns green, Stars are white. No change in image after processing.

How can that be? The Before and After shows no change.

No speckling occurred for this session.
smokey688i

Post by smokey688i »

It might still be working...I honestly can't tell the difference unless I zoom in and click back and forth several times. The difference is very subtle but the best way to describe it is a slight sharpening and decrease in fuzziness in my experience. I usually go with the default settings with my data, otherwise the image graininess starts to increase too much for my liking...your mileage may vary.

Chris
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

If you dont see any/much difference in decon, try increasing the radius size. Sometimes I have to do that, and keep doing it until I either see an improvement, or determine that it is not helping
Che
KD0NPT-Astro

Post by KD0NPT-Astro »

Cheman wrote:If you dont see any/much difference in decon, try increasing the radius size. Sometimes I have to do that, and keep doing it until I either see an improvement, or determine that it is not helping
Che
When it happens they speckles are prett bright. I ran it all day today with the default and did not happen again.