matrix grid shown on first autodev

General discussion about StarTools.
Lawrence

Re: matrix grid shown on first autodev

Post by Lawrence »

Hello Ivo

Thank you so much for your excellent explanation and commentary. Please feel free to use the samples as you see fit. (Lovely pun - FIT). We all want to progress with our image processing. Debayer comment noted; this was prepared for me by a software writer from his main program because I didn't have a deBayer program unless I use the Maxim DL component. I have tried to use other software instead. I don't know of any other debayer software but I will have a look for some.

As I explained, this was a single image. Now that I have reason to believe that the GRBG debayer is correct, I can return to the image collection and deBayer them all. I also have dark+bias frames, and some flats in some cases, to use. Clearly I didn't want to use the wrong pattern on every frame and then try to process the result.

Comments on the manual noted. Could I comment though that without seeing a version number in the title, one can end up downloading the same pdf file every time. A number in the title would tell everything.

:D

Lawrence Harris
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

"The manual linked in the Download section (as well as by clicking on the PDF icon in the "transform" tool bar will always give you the latest version of the manual/content).

Would you be open to letting me use this data as an example in the manual of how StarTools highlights latent patterns? It would be quite useful to other people as it is such a good example. Credits for acquisition to you of course!"

(already replied - yes do so :) )

Could I repeat that there is still no indication that downloads are 'new' ones. Repeated downloads of the same file seem pointless because they lack a version number.

On this same thread, my intermediate processed images are showing multi-coloured images with various sections clearly not 'real'. This usually follows a 'wipe' process. It is not clear to me how to deal with this result.

Lawrence
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lawrence wrote:"
Could I repeat that there is still no indication that downloads are 'new' ones. Repeated downloads of the same file seem pointless because they lack a version number.
I hear you loud and clear. I will have to come up with something more clever for this, as the PDF is regenerated every time the website is updated. An update to the website may not always take place in the "modules & documentation" section and therefore I cannot just have the system automatically flag that there is a "new version" available for that particular section; the section may have stayed the same... :think:
On this same thread, my intermediate processed images are showing multi-coloured images with various sections clearly not 'real'. This usually follows a 'wipe' process. It is not clear to me how to deal with this result.
Would you be able to post an output image or screenshot of the problem? Does the issue go away at all when upping the "dark anomaly filter" setting?

Thanks again,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Hello Ivo
I have waited to find an example of the multi-coloured images - and one came up today. To be fair, it is from a raw 5-minute exposure with no bias/flat/dark modifications - so it is not representative. It has been AD+wipe+AD and that produced the effect. I tried increasing the dark anomaly to no effect.

This effect has occured on a few sample images. I am still adjusting the archived images so that I can locate calibration images where possible.

Sorry - this changes the thread title!

Thanks

Lawrence
Attachments
see text
see text
sample M42 multi-colour.jpg (262.76 KiB) Viewed 5228 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lawrence wrote:Hello Ivo
I have waited to find an example of the multi-coloured images - and one came up today. To be fair, it is from a raw 5-minute exposure with no bias/flat/dark modifications - so it is not representative. It has been AD+wipe+AD and that produced the effect. I tried increasing the dark anomaly to no effect.

This effect has occured on a few sample images. I am still adjusting the archived images so that I can locate calibration images where possible.

Sorry - this changes the thread title!

Thanks

Lawrence
Hi Lawrence,

I can indeed see some faint discolorations. They are probably caused by dark anomalies such as dead pixels (see Wipe documentation). Bump up the dark anomaly filter and see if they disappear. If the discoloration is located near the edge, your are most likely dealing with a stacking or alignment artifact - cropping a few pixels should help in that case.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

You were absolutely correct. I increased the dark anomaly a little and the colourations progressively disappeared. My only comment is that it was one image so no stacking problems could exist. I shall try to create some pristine starter images (fully corrected stacks) and then practise.

Thanks

Lawrence Harris