Ha + OIII Processing (IC1396)

General discussion about StarTools.
midnight_lightning

Ha + OIII Processing (IC1396)

Post by midnight_lightning »

I have been using Star Tools with a DSLR based set up for a year or so and been very pleased with the images (I love Star Tools - so easy to use out of the box for a novice but also powerful if you take full control).

I have just moved to CCD and SGPro and last night took my first images (as in the title), but I am back in noob mode when it comes to processing them. I have looked through various videos on this and other sites and they assume some basic knowledge that I don't have.

I'm hoping I can use the LRGB module to input HA and OIII and get it to generate a synthetic SII but not sure a) whether this will work or b) whether its the right approach.

Could anyone point me in the right direction, I'm happy to investigate the finer detail but it would really help if someone could tell me how to approach processing this data, what options I have etc.

I have 4 x 1200s in Ha and In OIII and intend to stack (DSS) these into 2 files using the best HA frame as a reference image - after that I'm stuck.

Thanks

Mid
admin
Site Admin

Re: Ha + OIII Processing (IC1396)

Post by admin »

Apologies for the late reply. I'm an idiot and missed a whole heap of "lit up" threads :oops:

If it is still of use, please have a look at this thread which deals with exactly this issue;

http://forum.startools.org/viewtopic.ph ... 210&p=5122

To make a long story short; there is no wrong or right way to process and combine narrow bands, which is - to me - actually half the fun! :)

Apologies again,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
midnight_lightning

Re: Ha + OIII Processing (IC1396)

Post by midnight_lightning »

Thanks Ivo, just seen your post and will take a look.

I just did the attached with straight LRGB mapping Ha to Red and OIII to blue, I like the image but would like to get some blue showing so hopefully the link you provided will help.

Thanks

Jon
Attachments
IC1805-Heart-Nebula-Small.jpg
IC1805-Heart-Nebula-Small.jpg (496.67 KiB) Viewed 3569 times