Output resolution

General discussion about StarTools.
nyairman

Output resolution

Post by nyairman »

Are output files limited to just 72dpi or, is there a way to "boost" the output resolution higher? I would hope that
I could save a file at 300dpi for printing purposes? Thanks for any help.
Greg
admin
Site Admin

Re: Output resolution

Post by admin »

Hi,

You can change the encoded preferred DPI of an image easily using numerous programs (The GIMP, Photoshop, etc.). StarTools exports - where it can - DPI-less or default/minimal encodings.

Changing DPI obviously won't magically change the resolution or create more detail though - it will just inform other software what the pixel density should be and how many pixels to cram into a real-world measure of distance.

This is a useful link on the subject.

Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
nyairman

Re: Output resolution

Post by nyairman »

admin wrote:Hi,

You can change the encoded preferred DPI of an image easily using numerous programs (The GIMP, Photoshop, etc.). StarTools exports - where it can - DPI-less or default/minimal encodings.

Changing DPI obviously won't magically change the resolution or create more detail though - it will just inform other software what the pixel density should be and how many pixels to cram into a real-world measure of distance.

This is a useful link on the subject.

Hope this helps!

I thank you for your your reply. I understand the concepts of dpi and software resampling. There would be an advantage however, if Star Tools would give users a choice of output files in different DPI sizes. So, 72dpi is the only option according to your answer? A choice of 96, 150, 300dpi,...etc...would be ideal.
Greg