IC1805 NB - How do I get where I need to be?

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
midnight_lightning

IC1805 NB - How do I get where I need to be?

Post by midnight_lightning »

Hi,

I have been working on IC1805 in narrow band and not getting where I need to be.

The first image (that I found online) is what I really want to get to.

The second image is mine, based on 20 x 20min HA and 8 x 20min OIII, and processed in LRGB, whilst its ok it's not what I'm after.

I have been through various threads on LRGB processing etc but still struggling to understand what I need to do.

Can anyone help me get there ,I'm happy to do the legwork but I don't know where to start. For example, should I also add SII and map as HST - will that do it, or do I need to process each filter separately and then use layers, or what?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Mid
Attachments
ic1805_hubble-2015_10_30.jpg
ic1805_hubble-2015_10_30.jpg (370.02 KiB) Viewed 6362 times
IC1805-Heart-Nebula-Small.jpg
IC1805-Heart-Nebula-Small.jpg (496.67 KiB) Viewed 6362 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: IC1805 NB - How do I get where I need to be?

Post by admin »

Hi,

First, you'd create a synthetic luminance image to process the detail.

Once that's done, you would use the LRGB module to load the S, H and O as R, G and B.

You would only lightly process this image and just make sure that the color distribution is to your liking.

Finally you would launch the Layer module to combine the colors of this stack with the detail of the synthetic luminance stack.

Say, if you have the detail in the background layer and the color in the foreground layer, you would set Layer mode to Color of fg.
In addition you could set Brightness Mask Mode to "Where composite is light & dark, use bg" and vary the Brightness Mask Power to taste. This will desaturate bright and dark areas of the image to give that old school Photoshop HST look.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
midnight_lightning

Thanks Ivo, sounds like I have some more learning to do.

Still loving Star Tools - what an amazing package :)

Jon
midnight_lightning

I've spent the last 3 hours trying to work out how to make a synthetic luminance image but am struggling.
I have found various references including the M45 Advanced processing thread which refers to a new process for creating artificial luminance being available from version 1.4, which I am using, but I cant find any reference to this new process - can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks
Jon
midnight_lightning

Pease Ignore the above, I have made some progress helped very much by the Layer Module thread that Guy put together but also the M45 thread.
I haven't managed to get where I want to be yet but I think I have made quite a bit of progress with IC410.
Attachments
IC410-Lum-+-HA-+-OIII-with-OIII-Layer-V2-1024.jpg
IC410-Lum-+-HA-+-OIII-with-OIII-Layer-V2-1024.jpg (480.71 KiB) Viewed 6220 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good to hear Jon.

Guy's notes are fantastic indeed! :)

Once you got the detail/luminance processed to your liking, playing around with the coloring (+ combining) is pretty straightforward.

If you haven't seen this discussion already;
http://forum.startools.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1210
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast