Issue starting StarTools.

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
Rattler

Issue starting StarTools.

Post by Rattler »

Hi. I have been using the trial version but having an issue opening it. Once extracted I click in the .exe file and bring up a message saying that it couldn't be opened due to the resources folder being missing. If I then run the file as an administrator the software opens and I can use it
If I make a shortcut for my desktop it also says the same thing when I try to load it. I am having to download the file again every time I want to use it. Any ideas?
Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Issue starting StarTools.

Post by admin »

Hi,

It may be that the folder you are extracting the executable to does not have read/write permissions set for the "regular" user.
The "Program Files" folder is such a folder that does not allow read/write. Perhaps try extracting to a different folder?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
lukebonnett

Post by lukebonnett »

I am having a similar issue. I am trying to associate fits files to open with StarTools and I am receiving the same error. I would like to be able to just click and use the open with dialog but I get the resources error. I am using Windows 7 professional 64 bit.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
lukebonnett wrote:I am trying to associate fits files to open with StarTools
StarTools, at present, does not support command-line arguments. So I'm afraid this would not work right now.

That said, to avoid the error, you'd need to switch to StarTools' working directory first by issuing a 'cd' command prior to executing the program, e.g. something along the lines of "cd My/StarTools/Folder && StarTools-Win64.exe".
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

I have always put startools in a folder on my desktop (I know not usually the correct way to get any software installed) and have a link to the exe on my start menu. Works fine in W10 64 bit, in fact I have three versions of startools installed this way.