How to stich Mosaics

General discussion about StarTools.
AF7JQ

How to stich Mosaics

Post by AF7JQ »

I am using Sequence Generator Pro as my imaging software. It has the ability to set up a sequence of mosaics to cover a target too large to get in one photo. The part that hasn't clicked in my brain is how to assemble them into one picture once you have all the individual parts of the mosaic. Any pointers???
Thanks
John
Burly

Re: How to stich Mosaics

Post by Burly »

You could try microsoft ice
AF7JQ

Post by AF7JQ »

Thanks, I'll take a look!
John
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

ICE is brilliant though I have found that I need to first only light process the images (like using bin crop wipe dev) then use ICE and create a stitch and then process the stitch with final fine tuning in StarTools
If I want a plate solve using astrometry.net then I use a star mask on the stitched image for that
Bill55

Post by Bill55 »

I am also planning to do a mosaic of some larger objects. What I am unsure of is how (dis)similar the separate stacked images are before stitching. I have visions of the final image looking like a patchwork quit. HK suggest a light processing, do all the images need the same identical processing before stitching?
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Hugin Panorama Creator is quite powerful, open source and free:) I use it for my general photography and it's quite fast and accurate. It has an "assistant" which guides you through the process. All I do is load the images and then roughly assemble like puzzle pieces. The software then refines this and usually does a really good job.

Richard