Star Tools License Problems Again

General discussion about StarTools.
astronomynut

Star Tools License Problems Again

Post by astronomynut »

I have this version 1.3.5.289 on my Windows 8 computer, but I wanted to transfer it to my Windows 10 computer. I copied the files to my desktop astronomy programs file folder. The license is not in the Star Tools file folder.

The license is named Star Tools License, and shows as a text file when I open the properties box.

Unfortunately it only runs as a demo, even though I have the license. I have to think I am doing something wrong, or that the program doesn't like WIndows 10

As things are, my version apparently is pretty out of date. Has there been significant improvements that would be worth investing in the updated version, with a new license?

One of the big things I would like to see is some kind of Histogram, so I can see where the picture sits. Most of my pictures end up almost off the left side, instead of where I normally see picture histograms, about 1/4 of the way from the left side.

Anyway, right now I cannot use the program. So I am wondering if anyone could tell me just what significant changes have been added, and if it is worth paying for a new program.

Either that, or somehow I need to find a way for my Windows 10 computer to get the Star Tools program and license to talk to each other
Last edited by astronomynut on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happy-kat

Re: Star Tools License Problems Again

Post by happy-kat »

I first ran my license on Windows XP and now use the same license on windows 10 and started on that same version.
Check how you have placed all the files.

Keeping it simple I have placed the StarTools folder straight on my W10 desktop with the license.dat file in there.
astronomynut

Post by astronomynut »

Hi Happy-Kat, I think my problem is that the folder sees it as a text file. I renamed it License.dat, as you say you have it, and placed it as you said you do. But it still comes up as an evaluation program. It does not see my license file.
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

>desktop>startools xxxx >distro
After installing as per the guide on the startools website copy your license.dat file into the startools xxxx folder
The dat file should not have needed renaming, why not copy it again from your original email that it was sent to you on.
Where xxxx is the startools version you are using.
astronomynut

Post by astronomynut »

Happy-Kat, Seems my license file was corrupted somehow. I contacted Ivo, and tried to fix the problem. Eventually he sent me a new copy, and everything is working fine now. Thanks for the help