Halo Around Large Stars

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
astronomynut

Halo Around Large Stars

Post by astronomynut »

I was wondering just how you get rid of the halo around the larger stars. A fat star might be only half of the total diameter, with the other half being the halo. I've tried shrinking stars, but it seems to ruin things. I get the feeling I am doing something wrong. CaleyAnn
happy-kat

Re: Halo Around Large Stars

Post by happy-kat »

Did you have halos on your stars before you started processing?
astronomynut

Post by astronomynut »

Happy-Kat, It's you gain. Thanks for answering. I do not know if there were halos, as I could not see much of anything through all the green after I Dev'd it. I guess I never see this until I run my data through the colour portion of the program. Then it is quite obvious, usually having the big stars twice what they should be because of the halo.

I found some helpful information on how each module works in the program. I am going to try working with the ones the author says can help with the stars, and see if I can duplicate what he writes down.

But currently I am down for problems with cameras. Seems that putting on my new Moonlight auto focuser has made mounting my cameras impossible without proper extension tubes and adapter rings, which I have on order.

Thanks again for answering. Seems I am not getting notified of answers from this Forum. I need to figure out how to make sure I get notified of answers to my questions.
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

Why not upload a crop of just a couple stars with halo from one of the source files, jpeg is fine just want to have a look..
astronomynut

Post by astronomynut »

Happy-Kat, I finally found a tutorial by Guy on the Forum. It helped a lot. I need to practise a lot with all the tutorials I downloaded, but right now, what I have tried has helped a lot. Thanks for the help