Troubles Using Startools W/ License

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
Soundologist

Troubles Using Startools W/ License

Post by Soundologist »

Hello Startools users,

I have been trying this software out for several months, and finally purchased it. I put the license file into the folder I extracted everything into, and tried to start startools (windows 64-bit). When I did that, It greeted me with a code that I do not know what it means (see attached). Before having a license, I simply did not extract the contents of the download, and in WinRAR, double-clicked the startools windows 64 application. Now, I extract the contents to a folder and suddenly the thing is broken. If I spam the, "OK," button, it goes away until I finish loading my LRGB, in which case it promptly comes back. I clear it again, enter auto-dev, and the entire thing crashes. Any help or insight you could offer is much appreciated.

edit: I am running on a windows 10 64-bit machine with 8G ram, plenty of hard drive space, and an i5-6400k processor

Regards,
Soundologist, a confused Startools newbie
Attachments
sd.PNG
sd.PNG (4.13 KiB) Viewed 5981 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Troubles Using Startools W/ License

Post by admin »

Hi,

It appears StarTools cannot write its tracking data to the folder you are running StarTools from.
Please make sure the application has read/write permissions for the folder you extracted StarTools to.

Note that extracting StarTools under the Program Files folder does not allow programs write permissions, unless started in admin mode. In that case, run StarTools in admin mode, or extract StarTools to a different folder (recommended).

Does this hlep?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Soundologist

Post by Soundologist »

Hello Ivo,

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply; I've been busy with schoolwork and my first marching band competition of the season. I moved the folder to my desktop, and was able to produce my first ever image. Your software is amazing and I'm glad I bought it.

Thanks so much,
Soundologist
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Soundologist wrote:Hello Ivo,

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply; I've been busy with schoolwork and my first marching band competition of the season. I moved the folder to my desktop, and was able to produce my first ever image. Your software is amazing and I'm glad I bought it.

Thanks so much,
Soundologist
:thumbsup:
Best of luck with the competition!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast