4k res 'highdpi' file not working

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.

4k res 'highdpi' file not working

Postby Mike7Mak » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:24 pm

Trying to get larger toolbar icons on my 4k monitor. Have created the empty file with no extension in NotePad and placed it in the distro folder but it has no effect. What am I doing wrong? Running 1.4.340 on Windows 7 pro.
Mike7Mak

Re: 4k res 'highdpi' file not working

Postby admin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:22 am

Mike7Mak wrote:Trying to get larger toolbar icons on my 4k monitor. Have created the empty file with no extension in NotePad and placed it in the distro folder but it has no effect. What am I doing wrong? Running 1.4.340 on Windows 7 pro.

Hi,

Are you absolutely sure it has no extension/file type? Would you be able to upload a screenshot of the folder? Thank you!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Postby Wildcat_Pines » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Hello, I am new on the forum. This post is particularly interesting to me because I just installed the demo version of StarTools on my high dpi Dell laptop and seem to be experiencing the same problem. The GUI fills my screen, side to side and top to bottom but the text in the icons is so small I can barely read it. The text in the icons along with the StarTools logo in the top left appear to be rather low resolution as well. On the welcome window, there is a click button on the bottom with an "Ok" in it. The "Ok" is about 2mm high and about 3mm wide. I tried placing the file "highdpi" created in notepad into the "distro" folder and renamed it so there is no file extension. I'm not sure if this is an acceptable method to remove the extension but I could not figure out a way to save an extensionless file in notepad. I'm wondering if the two of you have come up with a fix?
Thanks,

Jon
Wildcat_Pines

Postby Wildcat_Pines » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:00 pm

I may be barking up the wrong tree... In watching some youtubes, I'm noticing that most displays look like mine. Sorry to complain. The GUI resolution is a little weak though, wouldn't you agree???

Jon
Wildcat_Pines

Postby admin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:45 am

Hi,

Welcome to the forums. I'm not entirely sure about the nature of the issues you are referring to... The GUI should look fairly smooth in all instances. Can you confirm the High DPI mode is working?

This is the behaviour on a 1920x1200 screen;

72 DPI resolution;
StarTools_100.png
StarTools_100.png (57.68 KiB) Viewed 22 times

144 DPI resolution (by creating 'highdpi' file);
StarTools_099.png
StarTools_099.png (94.54 KiB) Viewed 22 times

In both instances the UI should look smooth and not pixelated.

Is that not what you are seeing?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Return to Software Troubleshooting