Orion Nebula first Deep Space attempt

User images created with StarTools.
Troy Galebach

Orion Nebula first Deep Space attempt

Post by Troy Galebach »

Well, by the standards of the others whose work I've seen here, my first attempt is underwhelming.
We've had so much rain and cloud here that I took a chance and took my FSQ-106 out and shot fifteen 5 second frames of the Orion Nebula.
Stacked using Siril and then processed with StarTools. At least I had a chance to use the new Camera, and grab some photons.
I know if I had the time to do a real polar alignment, and track 1000 frames, I'd have a much more satisfying result. But here it is, warts and all.
Attachments
Fifteen 5 second frames.
Fifteen 5 second frames.
AfternooApril1.jpg (192.24 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
happy-kat

Re: Orion Nebula first Deep Space attempt

Post by happy-kat »

You have good star shapes.
If you were to add calibration frames for bias, darks, flats and dark flats you might help smooth out the noise.
There's a lot there for so little captured.
Troy Galebach

Re: Orion Nebula first Deep Space attempt

Post by Troy Galebach »

Thanks Happy-kat

You would think that a 70 year old wouldn't get too excited about things. I did though, I never did noise reduction.
I did find that out, and I posted the noise reduced version on my personal website. I don't want to waste Ivo's server space with too much of my junk.
I think I did a better job of it, but I'm still learning so I'll not be too hard on myself.

If you our interested here is the URL, http://tgalebachmo.net/astronomy/. You'll have to scroll down to the bottom of the page though. I posted the pic and a locator because our local paper published the photo, and it will look even worse in newsprint. I gave them the link so that any interested may hit the site and see it in higher resolution. I'm still learning everything, I have a Mallincam Video cam and know I can take darks and flats. I'll have to see what else their software supports, though all processing is on my Linux machine, I only use a Windows laptop to capture Video.

Thanks for the kind words if we ever get into calm and clear skies again, I'll be out seeing what else I can do while learning.

Regards,
Troy