Repeated question in a different format to get a clear answe

General discussion about StarTools.
Pscm

Repeated question in a different format to get a clear answe

Post by Pscm »

Due to life I struggle to get enough time to process an image in one sit. How does one deal with this from a linear/nonlinear standpoint when i reopen? Also due i need to at least get to a certain point before saving and reopening to work?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Repeated question in a different format to get a clear a

Post by admin »

Hi,

Saving while Tracking is still "on", will only save the image-as-you-see-it, but will not save the many intermediate states (linear, no-linear, deconvolved, non-deconvolved, gradient-corrected, non-gradient corrected, luminance and chroma versions of the aforementioned), history, or signal evolution statistics. The aggregate of data that StarTools mines and collects can quickly grow to multiple GB per session, so it is unfortunately not too practical to keep saving this.

Fortunately, this does not tend to be a problem so much in StarTools, as workflows are extremely short and methodological, precisely due to the Tracking feature; modules are usually only visited once and endless tweaking and applying filter-upon-filter is not a thing in StarTools. Most datasets can be processed to a high standard in 10 module visits or less (where some of the simpler modules only take a few seconds to do their thing).

However, it is always possible to recover you precise steps (and even masks as of the later 1.4.x versions!) by consulting the StarTools.log file. Guy here on the forums has even created a tool to "replay" these logs (STReplay).

Once Tracking is off and final noise reduction has been applied, you can save the image-as-you-see it, while using StarTools for further touching up. In this case StarTools functions as any other "dumb" image processing tool, applying filter-upon-filter without regard for noise propagation. Of course, the benefits of tracking signal evolution are not available in that case, so it is highly advisable to perform anything that can impact noise propagation (stretching, detail enhancement, etc.) while Tracking is on.

All this said, it is of course entirely possible that your circumstances, datasets or needs are different from typical envisaged StarTools usage, so please do let me what takes up the most time in your case. Perhaps there is something we can do or optimise to save you some time?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Pscm

Post by Pscm »

Thank you for the reply. I suppose I need to get proficient which will help.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pscm wrote:Thank you for the reply. I suppose I need to get proficient which will help.
No problem - anything I can do to help (perhaps a personalised worklow?) let me know!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast