Newbie - Autodev Pink or Red Screen

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
nanthony123

Newbie - Autodev Pink or Red Screen

Post by nanthony123 »

Good day to all you pro astrophotographers....I am far from it and it seems a steep learning curve that I need!!!

So fromt he above statement you can guess I am a newbie and need your help. Just started to take astro photos and some have been reasonably successful and I can see what it is i am imaging, but trying to pull out the detail is where I am struggling.

Firstly, when I stack my images, I use Lynkeos, and then import to Star Tools as TIFF, I then do the usual Autodev and just about every image on the screen comes out very pink or very red?????? Why? When I watch all the tutorials images are either yellow or blue after autodev, what have or am I doing wrong.

I will be back with more questions, FYI I have used some images that others have posted as a test image and I dont get the pink or red, so I am guessing (probably a good guess) its my images or me lol

Neil

Telescope is Celestron 5SE, images are 10-20 secs on the wedge
nanthony123

Re: Newbie - Autodev Pink or Red Screen

Post by nanthony123 »

Would really appreciate someone giving me a pointer as to why my initial autodev is so pink / red each time. Is it over / under exposure, light pollution, or something totally different?

Thanks
almcl

Post by almcl »

Are you able to post an example?

Also, where are you located and what equipment are you using?

I think Lynkeos is AppleMac, isn't it? If so, can't offer any advice on stacking - beyond remarking that most of the free stacking software is PC based.

A bright colour cast is not unusal at the start of the StarTools process, Autodev is intended to show faults so that they can be corrected. If you are shooting from an urban or suburban site, some light pollution is almost certain to get in. The Wipe module, just after Autodev (& Crop if required) should help with this, then follow up with a further develop or auto develop, decon, sharpen, HDR, contrast, life, color and finally tracking off with noise reduction and the colours should be much better.
Skywatcher 190MN, ASI 2600 or astro modded Canon 700d, guided by OAG, ASI120, PHD2
alacant

Post by alacant »

Hi
The first time I saw it, I thought I'd done something wrong. It was only until I went on to wipe and then apply auto dev again that I realised I hadn't.
HTH
nanthony123

Post by nanthony123 »

Thanks for the responses guys. I understand the autodev is warts and all but even after wipe the color barely changes. On the video tutorials the wipe seems to bring the image out and so detail mine isn't doing that. So is it my initial data that's the problem? Or do I need to be more aggressive with wipe and increase dark anomalies. If someone could just indicate why my image would start off so pink compared to the yellow or blue hues I see on other tutorials. Thanks again.
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

neil
could you post a link to your unprocessed stacked image in dropbox or similar and let us have a look at it?
Che
nanthony123

Post by nanthony123 »

Ok, I'll try and do that later today. Thanks
nanthony123

Post by nanthony123 »

Guys, been away on holiday so not been able to get to do anything astronomy wise until now. Hopefully uploading the pic later today and let you all pull it to pieces lol. Having read some other astro info I think that quite simply the scope I am using and the mount and the length of time I am using in exposures is simply meaning that there isnt enough detail there to depic anything when I get to the processing stage. But will let you guys have a go later and see what i am missing.
nanthony123

Post by nanthony123 »

OK, so promise and image on dropbox, however, upon further examination and better understanding of the tools I realised it wasnt worth wasting your time on. I had a friend who does similar stuff with astrophotography and he said that although there was some data on the image, the exposure was far too short to eanble anything worthwhile being processed and becoming present. So to save you guys any time I've left this one for now.
I have decided that a EQ mount is the next investment as I would love to start enjoying the wonders of the sky, not just with my eyes.