OSC Optolong l-eNhance colour

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Stefan B

Re: OSC Optolong l-eNhance colour

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Carles,

now I can see the color in the stars, thanks :thumbsup:

AutoDev vs Film Dev: In the beginning I only used FilmDev, meanwhile I almost only use AutoDev. Noise is very well handled by SuperStructure and final denoise. But I agree, your Iris nebula is great. Would have thought it has been stretched with AutoDev :bow-yellow:

Best regards
Stefan
Carles

Post by Carles »

Thank you, Stefan!! :D

I wasn't sure until I've checked the log and extract it with STReplay (amazing tool!! )

I know what you mean about the SuperStructure to push noise, but I've found that it also affects detail.
Even when I use masks, but still I also use it a lot, is an awesome module! :D I sometimes pull it back to 60-70 strength in order to not loose much detail, and then leave the rest of noise reduction to Track-off.

I was trying a bit of identities in Colour module for SHO, this one for Veil looks OK :D
Screenshot-1.jpg
Screenshot-1.jpg (241.87 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Regards

Carles.
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

I've also noticed that sometimes the colors seem stronger when using open rather than compose and the bicolor setting. However, that also allows greens and yellows to kind of sneak in. The bicolor preset in Color also backs off from the saturation levels we are typically used to I think, so raising those back up as needed will bring color strength back in.

There's some flaws in my data here and it's only 4.5 hours integration, but this is my first go-through with the new 1.8.506a. I composited as bicolor in order to lock the B and G together and get that 2xG in the Synthetic L I believe, then chose the bicolor preset in Color and adjusted saturation. I also backed things off at the end with Gamma and Skyglow in FilmDev, as I think I had stretched too much at the beginning and blotchy noise came out. I'll have to collect more time on this once the clouds go away. It's summer so they shouldn't even be here at all.
West Veil 270m HOO ST8-506a 1A.jpg
West Veil 270m HOO ST8-506a 1A.jpg (498.46 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
Hmm, on second thought I may have still left too much blotchy noise in there. A stretch or brightness level is difficult to settle on, what with the dark borders here on ST, the bright borders on CN, and the goofy things my mobile displays do to images.

I might have to go back to the drawing board on this again then to get a cleaner outer space. :lol: