Trouble processing Scientific CMOS images

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
whixson

Trouble processing Scientific CMOS images

Post by whixson »

I have a FLI Kepler4040 camera, based on a GSense Scientific CMOS chip. 36mm x 36 mm with 9mm pixels. I did a Ha-O3 session of 65 3-minute exposures each and calibrated/stacked in Astro Pixel Processor. When I loaded the masters in the Combine module they appear almost milk white. However, AutoDev with an ROI does OK. However, some processes like Contrast leave a large picture frame part of the image as untouched. I'm attaching a screen shot. I can upload the masters to my OneDrive if you want to take a look

Wayne
Attachments
Screen shot of ST Contrast
Screen shot of ST Contrast
Capture.JPG (421.55 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
whixson

Re: Trouble processing Scientific CMOS images

Post by whixson »

Looks like I found the answer a little further down the board! I’ll try cropping more to get rid of artifacts
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You got it. :thumbsup:

Any further trouble, questions, let us know!
If you feel like it, also check out the 1.6 alpha, which has some new features (enhanced deringing in Decon, new Sharp module, second Denoise module, etc.), as well as significant optimisations and speedups.
If you have high quality data, you might like the Denoise 2.0 module, which employs a subtler approach to noise reduction, suited to high quality datasets where the only visible type of noise tneds ot be shot noise.

Cheers!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
whixson

Post by whixson »

Thanks Ivo! I am running the Alpha AVX version and it seems quite a bit snappier. I love playing with the Hubble Palette presets too. I find I do have to adjust the channel sliders quite a bit to get the blues I want instead of green on my target of the Wizard Nebula. I like that I can protect the stars from too much saturation, also not seeing much in the way of magenta halos!

Wayne
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

whixson wrote:Thanks Ivo! I am running the Alpha AVX version and it seems quite a bit snappier. I love playing with the Hubble Palette presets too. I find I do have to adjust the channel sliders quite a bit to get the blues I want instead of green on my target of the Wizard Nebula. I like that I can protect the stars from too much saturation, also not seeing much in the way of magenta halos!

Wayne
That's great to hear Wayne! :)
I just added some documentation on the Denoise 2 module (coinciding with 1.6.383 alpha release), as well as the Decon module.
You may (or may not) find it a little easier toning down the greens in a HST palette by using the Cap Green slider (there's a reason why it's a slider now instead of a switch ;) ).
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast