Result dispear after WIPE

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
domoluca

Result dispear after WIPE

Post by domoluca »

Hi Guys
i have used an older version of ST for years, and have never changed but I have download the newest version StarTools 1.5.369MR3 a couple of week ago with my new PC.
After i open the file and do a AUTODEV then a WIPE i lose all the detail and the image goes back to what it looked like when i opened it
here the log, and the result after WIPE. it work fine butnow has this issue on all shots

Do i have a bug, as this never happen before? Any Suggestions ? Thanks
Domenic

(win 10 , new PC)

-----------------------------------------------------------
StarTools 1.5.369MR3
Wed Feb 19 22:30:35 2020
File loaded [G:\Pictures\Astro Pictures\deepsky stacker - result\2020-01-25\NGC 2359 Thor's Helmet 24x2ms Staked no flat.TIF].
Image size is 4944 x 3284
---
Type of Data: Linear and was Bayered, but not whitebalanced
--- Auto Develop
Parameter [Ignore Fine Detail <] set to [Off]
Parameter [Outside RoI Influence] set to [15 %]
Parameter [RoI X1] set to [0 pixels]
Parameter [RoI Y1] set to [0 pixels]
Parameter [RoI X2] set to [4944 pixels (-0)]
Parameter [RoI Y2] set to [3284 pixels (-0)]
Parameter [Detector Gamma] set to [1.00]
Parameter [Shadow Linearity] set to [50 %]
--- Wipe
Parameter [Mode] set to [Correct Color & Brightness]
Parameter [Precision] set to [256 x 256 pixels]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Filter] set to [1 pixels]
Parameter [Drop Off Point] set to [0 %]
Parameter [Corner Aggressiveness] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Aggressiveness] set to [75 %]

StarTools 1.5.369MR3
Wed Feb 19 22:33:36 2020
File loaded [G:\Pictures\Astro Pictures\deepsky stacker - result\2020-01-25\NGC 2359 Thor's Helmet 24x2ms Staked no flat.TIF].
Image size is 4944 x 3284
---
Type of Data: Linear and was Bayered, but not whitebalanced
--- Auto Develop
Parameter [Ignore Fine Detail <] set to [Off]
Parameter [Outside RoI Influence] set to [15 %]
Parameter [RoI X1] set to [0 pixels]
Parameter [RoI Y1] set to [0 pixels]
Parameter [RoI X2] set to [4944 pixels (-0)]
Parameter [RoI Y2] set to [3284 pixels (-0)]
Parameter [Detector Gamma] set to [1.00]
Parameter [Shadow Linearity] set to [50 %]
File saved [G:\Pictures\Astro Pictures\deepsky stacker - result\2020-01-25\NGC 2359 Thor's Helmet 24x2ms-after AutoDev.TIF].
--- Wipe
Parameter [Mode] set to [Correct Color & Brightness]
Parameter [Precision] set to [256 x 256 pixels]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Filter] set to [1 pixels]
Parameter [Drop Off Point] set to [0 %]
Parameter [Corner Aggressiveness] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Aggressiveness] set to [75 %]
File saved [G:\Pictures\Astro Pictures\deepsky stacker - result\2020-01-25\NGC 2359 Thor's Helmet 24x2ms-after Wipe.TIF].
Attachments
NGC 2359 Thor's Helmet 24x2ms-after Wipe.jpg
NGC 2359 Thor's Helmet 24x2ms-after Wipe.jpg (281.48 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
Burly

Re: Result dispear after WIPE

Post by Burly »

No problem all you need to do is re do the global stretch , so you autodev to see what you have ,crop border for anomalies and bin if needed, then wipe , redo auto dev or manual dev , then from there go through modules left to right , hope that helps .

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Great to hear you're trying out 1.5 (1.6 will be out soon too) - you're in for a treat.
You will also find some small differences like these.
Here's an explanation;

It is Wipe's job to remove gradients from your dataset. Gradients take up an enormous amount of dynamic range to describe them. In fact, something like AutoDev will mostly show gradient if they are not removed.
Wipe's output, however, removes them (from the linear data!) and will drastically re-arrange how (and where) the remaining real detail sits in the available dynamic range.
Prior to 1.5, Wipe would, to the best of its abilities, try to re-construct the stretch that was performed prior to running Wipe. While that capability was pretty neat, it was really sub-optimal; you originally made that stretch while looking at the image with the gradients/bias still in place. Therefore, it can no longer be a correct or desirable stretch; the linear source has now drastically changed and it is now assumed you will want to re-stretch the linear dataset, because you can now make a better, more informed choice about what the correct final stretch is to bring out the real detail and the real detail only (not the detail mired in gradients).
Most people already re-stretched after Wipe prior to 1.5 for this reason. You may remember there was even a "Courtesy Autodev" feature in case the reconstruction failed (not uncommon). That Courtesy AutoDev is now permanently on (you will find a message to that effect below the image as well in Wipe). It is purely meant as a diagnostic tool, so you can see how well Wipe did. Upon 'keep'ing the result, Wipe will revert back to the linear (but Wiped!) dataset, ready for the final globall stretch with - preferably - the revamped AutoDev module.

I hope this helps & wish you clear sks!

EDIT: While I was typing this Burly/Dave summed it up in one quick sentence :lol:
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
domoluca

Post by domoluca »

Hi Dave and Ivo
Thanks for the short and long answer!! They are both great !
I am getting back into Star tools after a leave of absence, and the improvements to the function screen are really excellent as they do help with the process flow. Thanks again
Cheers Domenic