Autodev brightness

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
jimmy101

Autodev brightness

Post by jimmy101 »

Hi Ivo. Every time I use autodev I'm pretty sure it seems to produce a darker image than using Dev. Is this normal behaviour and should I just increase gama to make it brighter?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Autodev brightness

Post by admin »

jimmy101 wrote:Hi Ivo. Every time I use autodev I'm pretty sure it seems to produce a darker image than using Dev. Is this normal behaviour and should I just increase gama to make it brighter?
Hi,

Do you mean comparing the image between the results of the home-in functionality in Develop and a full-frame RoI AutoDev?
How are you comparing the two when you say "darker"?

Thank you!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
jimmy101

Post by jimmy101 »

admin wrote:
jimmy101 wrote:Hi Ivo. Every time I use autodev I'm pretty sure it seems to produce a darker image than using Dev. Is this normal behaviour and should I just increase gama to make it brighter?
Hi,

Do you mean comparing the image between the results of the home-in functionality in Develop and a full-frame RoI AutoDev?
How are you comparing the two when you say "darker"?

Thank you!
Ivo,

Yes, comparing the home-in result in Dev with No ROI (full frame AutoDev). Basically I have found that the nebulosity is made darker (eg bright white area will become slightly grey, hence darker) using AutoDev. Stars are alot better in autodev, and that's why I really want to use AutoDEV but the nebulosity just doesn't pop.

I have attached a few shots...
Develop - light areas stand out and dark areas are good.
Develop
Develop
Screenshot_Dev.png (400.5 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
AutoDev with dark anomaly (no ROI) - light areas become grey and darks washed out
AutoDev
AutoDev
Screenshot_AutoDev.png (433.98 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
AutoDev with dark anomaly & ROI - improvement over no ROI but light areas still dont pop like Dev module does...and dark's are not that great
AutoDev_ROI
AutoDev_ROI
Screenshot_AutoDev_ROI.png (432.63 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

You might be interested in this thread.

On my calibrated screen, the AutoDev version you posted above is *vastly* superior, show much more detail in the shadows.
In all cases, it is import to remember that both Deveop and AutoDev are starting points. You can/should used the Contrast, HDR and Sharp modules to further enhance detail in the midtones.

Do let me know if that helps!

Ivo
Ivo Jager
jimmy101

Post by jimmy101 »

Thanks Ivo,

That thread does help. I agree autoDEV shows more detail and thats why Im determined to get the results I want. So do you suggest using the gamma to brighten the image versus running the image in Dev after autoDEV? and advantages to either method?

James
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jimmy101 wrote:Thanks Ivo,

That thread does help. I agree autoDEV shows more detail and thats why Im determined to get the results I want. So do you suggest using the gamma to brighten the image versus running the image in Dev after autoDEV? and advantages to either method?

James
AutoDev should do a good job in allocating dynamic range equally on a global level. Using the Gamma slider will "put your finger on the scale" so to speak and would no longer yield objective results. Ideally, you would use the AutoDev results with a few tweaks as possible ('Ignore Fine Detail <' and an RoI excepted). Again, the goal is to show (start off with) detail across the dynamic range equally; the perfect starting point.

From there you would start manipulating/optimising dynamic range locally using Contrast, HDR and Sharp.
Ivo Jager