Star Tools stuck in 'compose' mode

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Lawrence

Star Tools stuck in 'compose' mode

Post by Lawrence »

Help - I can't escape it! I suddenly noticed that after loading my usual M25C OSC picture of M27 it appeared in b/w. Then I noticed compose mode was switched on. It could *not* be switched off! It did not toggle but entered a new mode when clicked. I don't want 'compose' mode - but it won't let me escape. I closed the program down and re-started it - but compose mode is now permanently on.

Help please!

Lawrence Harris
happy-kat

Re: Star Tools stuck in 'compose' mode

Post by happy-kat »

Hi
The image stays B/W until the colour module is used, this is as expected.
I am not following you with the Compose module comments.
The module icon stays lit as it is a module, and some modules are available to use all the time and others are dependant of whether tracking is on ot not.
If the Compose module had been used then the word is lit green on the module icon.
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

happy-kat wrote:Hi
The image stays B/W until the colour module is used, this is as expected.
I am not following you with the Compose module comments.
The module icon stays lit as it is a module, and some modules are available to use all the time and others are dependant of whether tracking is on ot not.
If the Compose module had been used then the word is lit green on the module icon.
Sorry - but it has never done this before. Normally it always loads and displays in full colour right from the start. Somehow the 'compose' module is showing 'on' and cannot be switched off. This is the first time that this has happened. When I select compose (trying it as a toggle on/off) it throws me into LRGB which the M25C is not (its OSC). An hour ago I was experimenting with colour (see later query) but it has always loaded and displayed in colour from the start. Now it is stuck in b/w.

Lawrence :?
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

This is normal behaviour.
You must have been using an older version of StarTools before, lots has changed and lots of new features and old ones updated.
Perhaps follow a tutorial that can be found on the main website to get used to the updates.

Open your image and select the option that best describes it like linear for example then proceed to:
Bin
Crop (if you can by how much use autodev first)
wipe (check colour at the prompt)
you may want to use Contrast
you may want to use HDR
you may want to use Sharp
you may want to use Decon
colour
denoise save
Use these and/or other module as you like
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Oh - or rather OMG! Thats done it properly!

I should of course have said M57 not M27.

As mentioned I was using an older version and found myself in deep water. I will seek out the videos on the main site. I had looked at some previously and even made notes. One problem that I have had has been identifying version numbers because they do not appear to be listed except after downloading and installing the software. In several cases in the past I have found myself downloading and installing the same version that I was already running - hence there has been a gap since I last downloaded/updated.

My grateful thanks.

Lawrence :D
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

My joy was short-lived. This morning M57 has reverted to reversed colours (blue outer and greenish hue inner) no matter what selections I make. I will re-learn the sequence in case I have messed up but the result is once more fully repeatable.

Lawrence :oops:
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

You can find out what version is installed by reading the change.log file open it in a text reader to view. The file is in the folder where you placed StarTools
If you can shared your dataset we have have a try with it, could use dropbox or similar if you like.
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Thank you. Links to dropbox files in other thread (sorry, I didn't retain them).

Lawrence Harris