Faulty star mask

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Al394

Faulty star mask

Post by Al394 »

Hi, I'm new to the forum & I'd like to say that I really enjoy using Star Tools.
I have a recent problem using a star mask to reduce stars in the Shrink module. My work flow , in general, consist of binning>dev.>crop>dev.>wipe>color>and then I make a star mask which goes as follows: mask ( which is set green)>auto>stars>do>shrink once>auto>fat stars>add new to old>do. Then I save the mask for later use. Next I turn tracking off & do noise reduction. Next I open my mask that I saved & apply it to the image for use in the Shrink module.
The problem is & I hope I explain this correctly, the mask is now black & white or gray scale? It is not saved as colored with the stars masked as green. When I apply the mask all I get is a black & white overlay.
This is a recent problem in so that it worked just fine with earlier images that I processed. I've been trying this procedure on 3 different images with the same failed results.
I'm using this workflow from the youtube video titled "StartTools workflow for IC63, Nikon D5300".
I don't know if I changed a setting in Star Tools? I use DSS to stack images & I don't think that has anything to do with it.
Thanks for any help ............Al.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Faulty star mask

Post by admin »

Hi Al,

Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you are opening the generated mask with the Open button in the home screen (which will open the mask as an image), rather than opening the mask with the Open button in the Mask editor (which will open the file as a mask).

Might that be that what is going on?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Al394

Re: Faulty star mask

Post by Al394 »

Hi Ivo, you are correct. I ran through the procedure & opened the mask in mask editor which applies the mask correctly. Sometimes I think I'm following directions to the letter & then later on I see the mistake :doh:
Thanks a ton...........Al.