Andromeda Galaxy Challenge

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Andromeda Galaxy Challenge

Post by admin »

Thank you.
The core does not contain information (it is overexposing), so recovering any detail there is unfortunately impossible. 3 minutes appears to have been too long.
That said, I am very puzzled by the apparent color balancing and lack of a bias in the signal - particularly since this was stacked through PixInsight.

What instrument did you use to acquire this? What other programs did you use to acquire your data? Could they be responsible for the color balancing?
Color balancing too can sometimes blow out cores further...
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

Hi Ivo,

I was using an ZWO ASI183MC Pro Cooled OSC camera. I did not perform any kind of color balancing prior to Star Tools all I did was to stack the subs in Pixinisght using BPP. I may try the weighted BPP for the heck of it to see if that makes any difference.

I was very surprised that I did not get any notifications about any artifacts when I loaded in my image which I think was a first for me with Star Tools. I did find a very good You Tube Video by Richard Konrad using Star Tools on M31 and I believe that I am finally getting comfortable with the product.

I hope you like my newest image except for the blow out core. Thoughts?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6g2u24u8j5j7e ... .JPEG?dl=0
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sandconp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:16 pm I hope you like my newest image except for the blow out core. Thoughts?
That's rather good! :thumbsup:
The minimal loss in color fidelity using your L-Enhance Pro really surprises me.
The HII knots so prevalent in your earlier version (without flats) are little less prevalent here though.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast