Startools V1.7 Initial use, comments and questions

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Startrek

Startools V1.7 Initial use, comments and questions

Post by Startrek »

Hi Ivo,

Ive just upgraded from V1.6 to V1.7 and would like to comment on my findings after processing NGC3324 with 5hrs of good data using a ZWOASI2600MC OSC and ZWO 2" Duoband filter

Comments
Autodev Pre check improved from V1.6
Bin same as V1.6
Crop same as V1.6
Wipe improved from V1.6
Autiodev final stretch improved from V1.6
Contrast differs from V1.6 having trouble using it
HDR similar to V1.6
Sharpen similar to V1.6
Decon differs from V1.6 still getting my head around it, but getting results
Colour similar to V1.6 with more presets
Shrink only 2 presets now V1.6 was better
Super Structure having trouble using it ,in the Life module I mainly used Less More and Isolate in V1.6
Tracking Noise Reduction improved from V1.6
Star Mask improved from V1.6 ,V1.7 has really good star masks now

Overall a good upgrade from V1.6 to V1.7 , I just need to work out Super Structure ( I mainly used Less More and Isolate in Life V1.6 to reduce background or star field whilst increasing detail and brightness in the main object , it also helped reduce background noise as well )
In Super Structure is Dim small suppose to be the replacement for Less More in Life and is Isolate in Super Structure the same as isolate in Life ?
They don't seem to function the same way ?

Some questions regarding Compose module using my 2600MC OSC ( RGGB )with just colour data ( stacked file from DSS )

What DSLR/OSC preset should I use ?
Should I leave Luminance channel clear ?
When would you use the Luminance channel with just OSC colour data ?
Should I just load all 3 channels R,G and B with obviously same data from DSS ( and double Green channel exp time ) ?
Just require to best procedure in Compose with just OSC colour data and with or without a Duoband filter

Thanks

Martin
Attachments
A cropped image of NGC3324 using V1.7 <br />Original file was too big to attach
A cropped image of NGC3324 using V1.7
Original file was too big to attach
NGC 3324 Gabriela Mistral Nebula Narra 300sec Duoband Darks V1.7 Final Crop 1.jpeg (401.2 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Startools V1.7 Initial use, comments and questions

Post by admin »

Hi Martin,
Startrek wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:23 am In Super Structure is Dim small suppose to be the replacement for Less More in Life and is Isolate in Super Structure the same as isolate in Life ?
They don't seem to function the same way ?
The Isolate preset behaves identically in both modules.
The Super Structure module is able to manipulate super structures while also more carefully retaining overall image brightness, which is generally a more desirable behaviour so late in the processing flow. However, you should be able to emulate the Less=More preset, by setting Detail Preservation to "Linear Brightness Mask", Brightness Retention to "Off", and Strength to 50%.
Some questions regarding Compose module using my 2600MC OSC ( RGGB )with just colour data ( stacked file from DSS )
What DSLR/OSC preset should I use ?
Should I leave Luminance channel clear ?
When would you use the Luminance channel with just OSC colour data ?
Should I just load all 3 channels R,G and B with obviously same data from DSS ( and double Green channel exp time ) ?
Just require to best procedure in Compose with just OSC colour data and with or without a Duoband filter
For your visual spectrum datasets, you would use this setting;
"L + Synthetic L from R(2xG)B, RGB (Color from OSC/DSLR)" creates a synthetic luminance dataset from Luminance, Red, Green and Blue, weighted according to the exposure times provided by the "Total Exposure" sliders. The green channel's contribution is doubled to reflect the originating instrument's Bayer Matrix having twice the amount of green samples. The colour information will consists of simply the red, green and blue datasets as imported. StarTools will be put into "composite" mode, processing luminance and colour separately yet simultaneously. This mode is suitable for OSC and DSLR datasets and is used internally by the "Open" functionality on the home screen when the user chooses the second option "Linear from OSC/DSLR with Bayer matrix and not white balanced".
For duoband filtered datasets that you wish to process into a bi-color (e..g you want to avail of the bi-color matrices in the Color module);
"L + Synthetic L from R(2xG)B, R(GB)(GB) (Bi-Color from OSC/DSLR)" creates a synthetic luminance dataset from Luminance, Red, Green and Blue, weighted according to the exposure times provided by the "Total Exposure" sliders and taking into account the presence of a Bayer matrix. The colour information will consists of red as imported, with an average of green+blue assigned to both the green and blue channels. This mode is very useful for creating bi-colours from duo/tri/quad band filtered datasets.
For both these options the doubling of the green exposure time (for the purpose of synthetic luminance generation) is already taken into account.

Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Startrek

Re: Startools V1.7 Initial use, comments and questions

Post by Startrek »

Ivo
Thanks
Answered everything promptly ( as always )
Cheers
Martin