OSC Processing

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
almw59

OSC Processing

Post by almw59 »

I use a ZWO ASI071MC OSC camera and I use MaximDL to calibrate (bias, darks and flats) and stack the images. When I bring the resultant fits image from MaximDL into Startools for processing, should I use the Linear or Linear from OSC/DSLR open options? I have tried both options but end up with differing colours and strengths of colour, so which is correct / best to use?
admin
Site Admin

Re: OSC Processing

Post by admin »

almw59 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:12 pm I use a ZWO ASI071MC OSC camera and I use MaximDL to calibrate (bias, darks and flats) and stack the images. When I bring the resultant fits image from MaximDL into Startools for processing, should I use the Linear or Linear from OSC/DSLR open options? I have tried both options but end up with differing colours and strengths of colour, so which is correct / best to use?
Hi ,

The dialog explains that for best (cleanest, highest SNR) results, you should use the 'Linear from OSC/DSLR' option, provided no further color balancing has been carried out.

A non-color balanced dataset from an OSC or DSLR (without filters in the optical train) will typically have a distinct green (sometimes yellow for an OSC) bias. A light pollution-filtered dataset often appears with a blue bias, while a color balanced dataset often appears with a red or brown bias.
You should be able to examine the color of the bias if you import the dataset as a "regular" Linear dataset and launch AutoDev.

I am not 100% sure what the configuration options are for MaximDL and/or what it produces by default.
You can however find configurations and settings for other stackers here, which will all achieve the expected green bias.

If you'd like a second pair of eyes, please feel free to share a typical dataset!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
almw59

Re: OSC Processing

Post by almw59 »

Thanks for the reply. That explains what I was after.